1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem i have the answer to, but need the formula

1. Jun 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A truck is traveling at 17 m/s to the north. The driver of a car, 450 m to the north and traveling south at 22 m/s, puts on the brakes and slows at 3.5 m/s2. Where do they meet?

2. Relevant equations
    i know it is just the basic kinematic equations. but i don't really know which one or anything

3. The attempt at a solution
    i got the answer to be 381 meters. I did this months ago in the beginning of the year so i kind of forget how to do a lot of this. I am reviewing for my final so if you could show me the equations i would really appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2008 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Surely the equations are listed in your book and/or notes. You really should try to figure out which one it is. Even if you guess wrong, it's still better than not trying at all. You won't pass the final anyway if you don't put forth the effort.

4. Jun 11, 2008 #3
    i have tried to figure this one out. It is the only one i am stuck on from this chapter. part of my notebook got ruined so i am working with limited resources. do not worry though i am putting effort into passing my exam. I am not lazy.

5. Jun 11, 2008 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Great, then please show us one of your attempts.

6. Jun 12, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

v = u + at

s = ut + (1/2)at^2.

And look after them! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?