Problem integrating gamma ray absorption model

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab experiment involving different thicknesses of materials placed between a source of gamma radiation and detectors. The hypothesis is that a small change in the thickness of the shielding will produce a proportional change in the intensity of the gamma rays measured on the other side. The equation used to describe this is (ΔI) = -μΔX/I. The solution to this equation, I = I0e^(-μx), includes an integration constant, I0, which corresponds to an initial intensity when the slab thickness is zero. The conversation ends with the question of where the term I0 comes from and the realization that it is an integration constant.
d3ntr0n

Homework Statement

In this lab various thicknesses of a few materials are placed between a source of gamma radiation and a couple different detectors. It is reasonable to assume that some small change in the thickness of the shielding would produce a proportional change in the intensity of the gamma rays measured on the other side. If we define I to be the incident intensity of the gamma rays upon the shielding slab of thickness ΔX, and the emerging intensity on the other side of the shielding to be I’ with proportionality constant µ, we can describe the hypothesis with the simple model:

I) = -μΔX
I

According to the lab manual the solution to the integration of this equation yields

I = I0e^(-μx) ; Where I0 is the incident intensity

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So for an infinitesimally small change delta, we would use the Latin 'd' giving

dI = -μdX
I

integrating both sides and exponentiating then yields

I = e^(-μX)

So where does the term I0 come from? Can someone show me where my error is?

Physics news on Phys.org
When the slab thickness is zero there is an initial intensity. That corresponds to an integration constant.

Oh wow. Duh. Thank you gneill, I appreciate that.

1. What is a gamma ray absorption model?

A gamma ray absorption model is a mathematical representation of how gamma rays, a type of high-energy electromagnetic radiation, interact with matter. It helps scientists understand how gamma rays are absorbed and scattered as they pass through different materials.

2. Why is it important to integrate a gamma ray absorption model into problem-solving?

Integrating a gamma ray absorption model into problem-solving allows scientists to accurately predict and understand the behavior of gamma rays in various situations. This can be useful for a wide range of applications, from medical imaging to nuclear physics research.

3. What factors are typically included in a gamma ray absorption model?

A gamma ray absorption model takes into account factors such as the energy of the gamma ray, the density and composition of the material it is passing through, and the distance the gamma ray must travel. Other factors may also be included depending on the specific application of the model.

4. How is a gamma ray absorption model developed and tested?

A gamma ray absorption model is typically developed through a combination of theoretical calculations and experimental data. It is then tested by comparing its predictions to real-world observations and making adjustments as needed to improve its accuracy.

5. Are there different types of gamma ray absorption models?

Yes, there are various types of gamma ray absorption models that are designed for specific purposes. Some models may focus on a particular energy range of gamma rays, while others may be tailored for specific materials or applications. Scientists can choose the most appropriate model for their research needs.