Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Problem involving square / square root of a complex number

1. Jan 17, 2012 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [itex]z = (n + i)^{2}[/itex]

[itex]n[/itex] is a positive real number, and [itex]arg(z) = \frac{\pi}{3}[/itex]

Find the value of [itex]n[/itex].

The attempt at a solution

I am reviewing old problem sets from years past, and came across this problem that appears pretty simple. I have my old answer as [itex]n=\sqrt{3}[/itex], which I can verify numerically as the correct answer. The problem is that I no longer remember the solution, and think I am missing a simple solution to this. We know the following:

[itex]z^{1/2} = n + i[/itex]
    [itex]arg(n + i) = arctan(\frac{1}{n})[/itex]
    [itex]tan(arg(z)) = \sqrt{3}[/itex]

I think there must be some way to compare the arguments of the 2 sides and use the given fact that [itex]arg(z) = \frac{\pi}{3}[/itex] for a simple solution, but I don't see what it is. I am not sure how to deal with the square in the original problem statement, or the square root in my first equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If x is a complex number, how is arg(x) related to arg(x^2)? exp(it)^2=exp(2it), right?

4. Jan 17, 2012 #3

ehild

Homework Helper

Expand the right-hand side of the equation and compare the tangent of the arguments of both sides.

ehild

5. Jan 17, 2012 #4
    So in my case:
    [itex]arg(z^{1/2})=\frac{1}{2}arg(z)[/itex]
    Then if we take [itex]z^{1/2}=n+i[/itex] and set the argument of each side equal, we have:
    [itex]arg(z^{1/2})=arg(n+i)[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{1}{2}\frac{\pi}{3}=arctan(\frac{1}{n})[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{\pi}{6} = arctan(\frac{1}{n})[/itex]
    Taking the tangent of both sides:
    [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}=\frac{1}{n}[/itex]
    Thus:
    [itex]n=\sqrt{3}[/itex]

6. Jan 18, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's it. We can be a little bit sloppy about 2*pi factors in the arg because we know that 0<arg(1+n)<pi/2.

7. Jan 18, 2012 #6
    Thanks for the help!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook