How far will the girl run before catching the ball?

• Thread starter YMMMA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Girl
In summary, the ball will have the same final velocity as Its initial. So, using the last equation 0=5+gt, where g is 10, the time to reach the maximum height is half seconds. To reach the same height it started from, kt will take another half a second, for a total time of 1 second.
YMMMA

Homework Statement

Below

Homework Equations

Y=1/2 *gt^2
X=Vt
Vf=Vi+gt

The Attempt at a Solution

The ball will have the same final velocity as Its initial. So, using the last equation 0=5+gt, where g is 10. Therefore, time to reach the maximum height is half seconds. To reach the same height it started from, kt will take another half a second, Totaltime is 1 second. So, its horizontal displacement is x=5(1)= 5m. Since the same time applies for the motion of the girl, she will have moved a distance of 3m. Is my reasoning correct?

Attachments

• C9350EDC-1F59-4A74-A997-666DA15C6982.jpeg
    C9350EDC-1F59-4A74-A997-666DA15C6982.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 289
Physics news on Phys.org
YMMMA said:
So, its horizontal displacement is x=5(1)= 5m.
Why is that?

Chandra Prayaga said:
Why is that?
Is it not 0 fotr the final horizontal velocity? Should I consider the motion of the girl?

YMMMA said:
Is it not 0 fotr the final horizontal velocity?
No. It's constant.
YMMMA said:
Should I consider the motion of the girl?
What precisely does the question ask you to find?

gneill said:
No. It's constant.

What precisely does the question ask you to find?
How far will she run before catching it?

It is constant for the horizontal direction and zero vertically. Sorry, I confused my self. Here, the horizontal distance is the initial velocity times the time. What’s incorrect?

What is the direction of the inotial velocity of the ball?

It’s upward

So why are you using that to calculate the horizontal displacement?

YMMMA said:
So, its horizontal displacement is x=5(1)= 5m
The above statement is incorrect. The ball does not have a horizontal velocity component of 5 m/s. Your answer for the girl's horizzontal displacement is correct. Surely they need to have the same horizontal displacement if she's to catch the ball?

Aha, now I know I messed up. Yes they both must have the same horizontal displacement and I used the vertical velocity instead . Got it, Thank you all

Likes gneill
Good for you!

Likes YMMMA

1. How is the distance the girl runs calculated?

The distance the girl runs is calculated by using the formula for distance, which is distance = speed x time. The speed of the girl and the time it takes for the ball to reach her are both factors in determining the total distance she runs.

2. Does the girl's speed affect how far she will run?

Yes, the girl's speed directly affects how far she will run. The faster she runs, the farther she will be able to go in a given amount of time.

3. Is there a maximum distance the girl can run before catching the ball?

Technically, there is no maximum distance the girl can run before catching the ball. However, this would depend on several factors such as the speed of the girl and the speed of the ball. If the girl is running at a slower speed, she may not be able to run as far before the ball reaches her.

4. Can the distance the girl runs be affected by external factors?

Yes, there are external factors that can affect the distance the girl runs before catching the ball. These factors can include the terrain she is running on, any obstacles in her way, and the force and direction of the wind.

5. Is the distance the girl runs before catching the ball an accurate measure of her athletic ability?

The distance the girl runs before catching the ball is just one factor in determining her athletic ability. Other factors such as her speed, agility, and coordination also play a role. Additionally, the distance she runs may be affected by external factors, as mentioned before, so it may not always be an accurate measure of her overall athletic ability.