1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem of finding the volume of a box.

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The airlines accept a box if lenght + width + height <= 62. If h is fixed, show that the maximum volume (62-w-h)wh is V = h(31 - h/2)^2.

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I multipied:

V(h) = (62-w-h)wh
    V(h) = 62wh - w^2h - wh^2

dv/dt = 62w - w^2 - 2w = 60w - w^2

0 = 60w - w^2
    w = 60.

But this can not be. This is wrong. I tried other things but all of my attemps are wrong...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What you have done makes no sense at all. You write "V(h)" when V depends on both w andh as variables. And then you write "dv/dt" when there is NO "t" variable at all!

A differentiable function of two variables will have max or min only where its gradient is 0 or, equivalently, [itex]\partial V/\partial w= 0[/itex] and [itex]\partial V/\partial h= 0[/itex].

4. Oct 9, 2011 #3
    Thank you for your answer, HallsofIvy.

"dv/dt" well, yes. That was a typo from my part. My bad. Clearly volume does not depent on t...

I see that you have written partial derivative notation. I am assuming that your suggestion is to use partials, since volume seems to depend on two variables, namely h and w. But this exercise is in a problem set of a single-variable calculus textbook. I guess this can be solved that way, but for the moment I think the textbook expects me to solve the problem without the aid of partials. (I don't know know anything of partials. I only know something about its notation.)

My thought is that since V = HLW, I would get something of the form V = h times M^2, if I assume L = W = M^2, and then substitute. But I don't know how to prove this assumption and I have the feeling that it is wrong...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  5. Oct 9, 2011 #4
    But the problem statement says h is fixed. I am not sure what does the textbook means with "fixed" (I am not an english native speaker.) I suppose it means that h is not a variable, since it is "fixed"; it does not change. If that is the case, then V depends on L and W. But the problem ask me to show that (62-w-h)wh is V = h(31 - h/2)^2. Here "V" seems to be in function of h; a some sort of contradiction. I am a little bit confused...

6. Oct 10, 2011 #5
    Well, certainly I was confused yesterday. Happily now I undestand the problem:

V = (62 - h - w)wh,

V = 64wh - h^2w - w^2h.

dv/dw = 62h - h^2 - 2wh,

0 = 62h - h^2 - 2wh,

w = 62h - h^2/ 2h

w = 31 - h/2.

It turns out that L = W, because L = 62 - h - w, or L = 62 - h - (31 - h/2), or L = 31 - h/2.

Then, if we let W^2 = LW, it is clear that V = W^2H. Finally we have (31 - h/2)^2 times h.

Thanks! See you next time!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook