Is $f$ Measurable if $g$ is Measurable on $\mathbb{R}$?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Chris L T521
  • Start date
In summary, measurability is a property that applies to functions on the entire domain, and if $g$ is not measurable on $\mathbb{R}$, then $f$ cannot be measurable. However, it is possible for both $f$ and $g$ to be measurable on $\mathbb{R}$ as measurability can be independently held by multiple functions. The condition for $f$ to be measurable if $g$ is measurable is that $f$ must also be a measurable function. Measurability is a property that is independent of continuity, so $f$ can still be measurable even if $g$ is not continuous on $\mathbb{R}$. However, it is also possible for
Chris L T521
Gold Member
MHB
Here is this week's problem!

-----

Problem: Let $f$ be function with measurable domain $D$. Show that $f$ is measurable if and only if the function $g$ defined on $\mathbb{R}$ by $g(x) = \begin{cases}f(x) & x\in D\\ 0 & x\notin D\end{cases}$ is measurable.

-----

Physics news on Phys.org
This week's question was correctly answered by girdav. Here's my solution.

Proof: Suppose $f$ is measurable and let $\alpha\in\mathbb{R}$. If $\alpha\geq 0$, then the set $\{x:g(x)>\alpha\}=\{x:f(x)>\alpha\}$, which is measurable. If $\alpha<0$, then $\{x:g(x)>\alpha\}=\{x:f(x)>\alpha\}\cup (\mathbb{R}\backslash D)$, which is again measurable. Conversely, suppose $g$ is measurable. Then $f=g|_{D}$, and since $D$ is measurable $f$ is measurable. Q.E.D.

Here's girdav's solution:

We can write $g(x)=f(x)\chi_D(x)$.

If $f$ is measurable, since the product of two measurable functions is measurable, so is $g$.

Conversely, assume $g$ measurable. Let $t\in\Bbb R$ and let $I_t:=(-\infty,t)$. If $t\leq 0$ then $f^{-1}(I_t)=g^{-1}(I_t)\cap D$ which is a measurable subset of $D$. If $t>0$, then $f^{-1}(I_t)=(g^{—1}(I_t)\cup D^c)\cap D=g^{-1}(I_t)\cap D$, which is a measurable subset of $D$.

1. Can $f$ be measurable if $g$ is not measurable on $\mathbb{R}$?

No, if $g$ is not measurable on $\mathbb{R}$, then $f$ cannot be measurable. Measurability is a property that applies to functions on the entire domain, not just a subset of it.

2. Is it possible for $f$ and $g$ to both be measurable on $\mathbb{R}$?

Yes, it is possible for both $f$ and $g$ to be measurable on $\mathbb{R}$. Measurability is a property that can be independently held by multiple functions.

3. What are the conditions for $f$ to be measurable if $g$ is measurable on $\mathbb{R}$?

The condition for $f$ to be measurable if $g$ is measurable on$\mathbb{R}$ is that $f$ must be a measurable function as well. This means that the pre-image of any measurable set under $f$ must also be measurable.

4. Can $f$ be measurable if $g$ is not continuous on $\mathbb{R}$?

Yes, $f$ can still be measurable even if $g$ is not continuous on $\mathbb{R}$. Measurability is a property that is independent of continuity.

5. Is it possible for $f$ to not be measurable if $g$ is measurable on $\mathbb{R}$?

Yes, it is possible for $f$ to not be measurable even if $g$ is measurable on $\mathbb{R}$. Measurability is a property that is specific to each individual function and cannot be inferred from the measurability of other functions.