1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem on stiffness matrix of beam and deflection of tapered beam

1. Aug 12, 2013 #1
    1.How do i derive the stiffness matrix for a beam with nodal linkage? ie the shear force at the first node is 0 but the usual shear and moment resistance is present for the second node.

I thouth about solving the problem by just putting the first row of the stiffness matrix as 0 . Am i correct? Plee help in this

2. How do i get the deflection of a tapered beam? i have the intertia as a function of x. How do i go about the problem?
    I thought of using the the the relation between EI and Moment equation and integrating it. But i a m not sure how to go further. Can someone please help me in this

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2013 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Your moment equation would be

EI (d2y/dx2) = -M

where I is a function of x.

So you'd need to just do

d2y/dx2 = -M/EI

then integrate twice inputting your boundary conditions. This would depend on how your tapered beam is set up.

4. Aug 12, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

1. I am having trouble visualizing your beam and the nature of this 'nodal linkage'. Can you provide a picture?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted