Problem on the magnetic force on a wire

In summary, the problem involves finding the x, y, and z components of the magnetic force on a wire carrying a current in a magnetic field. Using the formula F=i*(crossP(L,B)), a cross-product is used to calculate the y and z components, but the incorrect length was used which resulted in incorrect values. After correcting the length, the correct values for the y and z components are obtained as 0 for the x component, -0.00365904 for the y component, and 1.43748E-4 for the z component.
electrohau5

Homework Statement

A wire 42.1 cm long carries a 0.660 A current in the positive direction of an x-axis through a magnetic field with an x component of zero, a y component of 0.000330 T, and a z component of 0.00840 T. Find the (a) x, (b) y, and (c) z components of the magnetic force on the wire.

Homework Equations

Force on a wire:
F=i*(crossP(L,B))

The Attempt at a Solution

Seems simple, but I am getting a wrong answer.

a. 0 (this is correct)
b and c. 0.660*(crossP({0.66,0,0}, {0,0.000330,0.00840})={0,-0.00365904,1.43748E-4}

and niether -0.00365904 (y component, part b),
nor 1.43748E-4 (z component, part c)

are correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
electrohau5 said:
F=i*(crossP(L,B))

0.660*(crossP({0.66,0,0}, {0,0.000330,0.00840})={0,-0.00365904,1.43748E-4}

Check the number that you used for the length of the wire.

Do your cross-products again. Show us the details thereof. (Set up the customary determinant rather than your more obscure notation).

EDIT: follow TSny's advice! I hadn't noticed that you omitted the length.

Last edited:
TSny said:
Check the number that you used for the length of the wire.

Thanks! I did not see that one!

I would suggest double checking your calculations and making sure all units are consistent. It is also important to consider the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the current in relation to the x-axis. Additionally, you may want to check if the cross product operation was performed correctly. If you are still unable to find the correct answer, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a colleague or refer to a trusted resource for guidance.

1. What is the magnetic force on a wire?

The magnetic force on a wire is a force that is exerted on a wire when it is placed in a magnetic field. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the current in the wire and the direction of the magnetic field.

2. How is the magnetic force on a wire calculated?

The magnetic force on a wire can be calculated using the formula F = I x L x B x sin(θ), where F is the magnetic force, I is the current in the wire, L is the length of the wire, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the wire and the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the magnetic force on a wire?

The magnetic force on a wire can be affected by the current in the wire, the length of the wire, the strength of the magnetic field, and the angle between the wire and the magnetic field. Increasing any of these factors will result in an increase in the magnetic force.

4. Can the magnetic force on a wire be repulsive?

Yes, the magnetic force on a wire can be repulsive if the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field are in opposite directions. This means that the wire will experience a force away from the magnetic field.

5. How does the direction of the current affect the magnetic force on a wire?

The direction of the current in the wire can affect the direction of the magnetic force. If the direction of the current is perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic field, the force will be in one direction. If the direction of the current is parallel to the magnetic field, the force will be in the opposite direction.