Problem Related to Beat Frequency of a hollow tube

In summary, the beat frequency is the difference in frequencies of the tuning fork and the tube. The temperature of the tube affects the frequency of the tuning fork. The length of the tube affects the frequency of the tuning fork.
digitomega

Homework Statement

Q. A hollow metallic tube closed at one end produces resonance with a tuning fork of frequency n at temperature T. The temperature of the tube is increased by dT. If the coefficient of thermal expansion of the tube metal is alpha, the beat frequency will be - (there are 4 option in the attached image)

Homework Equations

Frequency for a tube closed at one end - n=v/(4l),3v/(4l)...
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea ho to get the solution in terms of temperature and coefficient of thermal expansion.
[/B]

Attachments

• IMG_20170303_101912.jpg
    IMG_20170303_101912.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 526
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand the question.
It is a simple matter to find the change in length of the tube and consequent change in frequency, but a beat requires two frequencies at once. Seems to me there will be one frequency at one temperature and a different frequency at the raised temperature.

Doh! Forgot about the tuning fork. Thanks TSny.

Last edited:
Likes digitomega
I think that when the temperature of the tube is raised, the tuning fork still vibrates at its original frequency. I guess you assume that the fork can still excite the same mode in the tube, but now the mode has a slightly different frequency than the tuning fork.

Likes digitomega
You are right haruspex. I also tried finding frequency in the two cases but the required answer is in terms of T and alpha. I can get alpha in the answer expression but I have no idea about how to get T in the expression.

digitomega said:
I have no idea about how to get T in the expression.
Assume the gas inside the tube is also heated.

digitomega said:
You are right haruspex. I also tried finding frequency in the two cases but the required answer is in terms of T and alpha. I can get alpha in the answer expression but I have no idea about how to get T in the expression.
Please post some working...
How does the temperature relate to the length?
How does the wavelength relate to the length?
How does the temperature relate to the speed of sound in the air?
How does the frequency relate to the wavelength and the speed of sound?

haruspex said:
Please post some working...
How does the temperature relate to the length?
How does the wavelength relate to the length?
How does the temperature relate to the speed of sound in the air?
How does the frequency relate to the wavelength and the speed of sound?

For a tube closed at one end-
1/λ = v/4l (λ= wavelength and v= speed of sound).
Increasing the temperature ultimately increases speed as well as frequency of sound.
for sound there is the relation n=c/λ. (n=frequency, c=speed of sound,λ=wavelength)
As for length and temperature relation, increasing temperature increases length.
24b.gif

Problem is I don't know and can't find how to replace l and v in the expression I am getting for the beat frequency to make it like one of the 4 options.

digitomega said:
1/λ = v/4l (λ= wavelength and v= speed of sound).
Something wrong there. It doesn't make sense dimensionally.
digitomega said:
Increasing the temperature ultimately increases speed as well as frequency of sound.
Well, it changes the speed of sound. It does not directly change the frequency. What is the equation?

Once you have the right relationship in each case, you need either to write a second copy of each, using different symbols for the changing variables (e.g. T for initial temperature, T' for final temperature, etc.) or write the "delta" equations, e.g. how the change in temperature, ΔT, relates to the change in speed of sound, Δc.

1. What is the beat frequency of a hollow tube?

The beat frequency of a hollow tube is the difference between the frequencies of the two waves produced by the tube.

2. What causes the beat frequency in a hollow tube?

The beat frequency is caused by the interference of two sound waves with slightly different frequencies traveling through the hollow tube.

3. How does the length of the hollow tube affect the beat frequency?

The longer the hollow tube, the lower the beat frequency will be. This is because longer tubes allow for more sound waves to interfere with each other, resulting in a lower beat frequency.

4. Why does the beat frequency of a hollow tube change when the tube is partially filled with water?

Adding water to the hollow tube changes the length of the tube, which in turn affects the beat frequency. As the length of the tube changes, the interference between the sound waves also changes, resulting in a different beat frequency.

5. How can the beat frequency of a hollow tube be used in practical applications?

The beat frequency of a hollow tube can be used to tune musical instruments, such as wind instruments and organs. It can also be used in acoustic resonance experiments and to measure the speed of sound in different mediums.