Problem related to two conductors in contact

In summary, when a positively charged metal object is placed in contact with an isolated conducting spherical shell carrying a negative charge, the charges on the two objects will redistribute themselves, neutralizing each other if they were equal in magnitude and opposite in sign, or creating a net charge on the shell if the positive charge is greater in magnitude than the negative charge. This is because charges in conductors are mobile and can freely pass between them when in contact.
gracy

Homework Statement

An isolated conducting spherical shell carries a negative charge. What will happen if a positively charged metal object is placed in contact with the shell interior? Discuss the three cases in which the positive charge is a) less than , b) equal to, and c) greater than the negative charge in magnitude

Homework Equations

Important point:
The net electric charge of a conductor resides entirely on its surface.

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to know
charged metal object is placed in contact with
what does it mean?
Does it mean charged metal object is placed inside the shell interior?
in contct.png

Is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
When something is placed in contact with something else it means the two things are touching each other.

You mean conductor touches another conductor's interior?by?How would the setup look like?

It would look like a pair of 3 dimensional bodies as represented in your 2D sketch. Imagine a small metal egg held inside a larger hollow metal shell so that there is air all around the smaller one, insulating it. Then allow the middle one to fall onto the interior surface of the larger one when you want them to contact.

NascentOxygen said:
. Then allow the middle one
Did not understand this .

Object in contact with the shell interior:

upload_2015-10-24_21-9-52.png

Likes gracy and Simon Bridge
gracy said:
I want to know
charged metal object is placed in contact with
what does it mean?
Does it mean charged metal object is placed inside the shell interior?
@ehild diagram you drew greatly explained my doubt.
Now ,could you please do one more favor?
Can't we include charges in that particular figure?

let.png

Is it right ?
I am not showing that Q>q or any such thing.I am just considering the general case.
Just want to know/confirm location of charges whatever the magnitude may be .

After the conductors have been put in contact in contact with one another, those will no longer be the charges on them.

Chestermiller said:
those will no longer be the charges on them.
You meant those will no longer bear the charges on them,right?

Chestermiller said:
After the conductors have been put in contact with one another, those will no longer be the charges on them.
Can you please tell the reason?

gracy said:
What are your thoughts on this?

I am unable to comprehend this.
As I wrote
gracy said:
I am not showing that Q>q or any such thing
How can we cancel them?

gracy said:
The charges will be redistributed. What facts do you know about the distribution of charge on a conductor?

gracy said:
How can we cancel them?
Gracy, here's a multiple choice quiz for you:
1. In a conductor, positive and negative charges are regarded as (a) mobile or (b) not mobile?
2. Positive and negative charges (a) attract or (b) repel?
3. If two conductors are brought into contact with one another, charges can (a) freely pass between them or (b) not freely pass between them?
4. If a positive and a negative charge are allowed to come into contact, they (a) neutralize each other or (b) don't neutralize each other?

Likes gracy
Chestermiller said:
In a conductor,positive and negative charges are regarded as (a) mobile or (b) not mobile?
In a conductor
positive charges - not mobile
Negative charges-mobile
Chestermiller said:
Positive and negative charges (a) attract or (b) repel?
Positive and negative charges attract each other.
Chestermiller said:
If two conductors are brought into contact with one another, charges can (a) freely pass between them or (b) not freely pass between them?
Before answering this I want to know one thing,are these conductors neutral?

Chestermiller said:
If a positive and a negative charge are allowed to come into contact, they (a) neutralize each other or (b) don't neutralize each other?
neutralize each other

gracy said:
In a conductor
positive charges - not mobile
In my question, I was careful to use the words "are regarded as." Positive charges are just a deficit of electrons, so, if electrons can move in one direction, isn't that the same as positive charges moving in the opposite direction. If positive charges are not mobile, how come, when a conductor is charged positively, all the positive charges migrate to the outer surface of the conductor?
Before answering this I want to know one thing,are these conductors neutral?
If the conductors were neutral, there could not be a net migration of charge between them. So, what if they were not neutral to begin with?

Chestermiller said:
isn't that the same as positive charges moving in the opposite direction
I thought by positive charge you meant proton.That's why I said not mobile.

Chestermiller said:
If two conductors are brought into contact with one another, charges can (a) freely pass between them or (b) not freely pass between them?
Chestermiller said:
what if they were not neutral to begin with?345636"][./QUOTE]
charges can freely pass between them

Previous post went all wrong.sorry
Chestermiller said:
If a positive and a negative charge are allowed to come into contact, they (a) neutralize each other or (b) don't neutralize each other?
They neutralize each other

Last edited:
gracy said:
I thought by positive charge you meant proton.That's why I said not mobile.
Even if a conductor has atoms within it that are positively charged because they had lost electrons, electrons can migrate to them from adjacent neutral atoms to neutralize the charge, while the adjacent atoms then become positively charged. Certainly this constitutes mobility of positive charge.

Likes gracy
gracy said:
Previous post went all wrong.sorryThey neutralize each other
The question was "If two conductors are brought into contact with one another, charges can (a) freely pass between them or (b) not freely pass between them?" The question was not "what will ultimately happen." And, if the charges on the two conductors were not equal and identical in sign to begin with, they certainly will not ultimately fully neutralize.

Chestermiller said:
If two conductors are brought into contact with one another,charges can (a) freely pass between them or (b) not freely pass between them
Charges can freely pass between them.

So now, based on the answers to these four questions, how would you analyze the original problem at hand?

Chet

Will net charge come on the outer surface of the spherical shell?

gracy said:
I am asking this for a reason,actually my book gives this as a hint.

gracy said:
Yes.

I am hesitant ,but could you please explain why net charge will come on the outer surface of the spherical shell?By giving hints or multiple choice questions.

gracy said:
I am hesitant ,but could you please explain why net charge will come on the outer surface of the spherical shell?By giving hints or multiple choice questions.
By net charge, we mean that all the charges that are left are either positive or negative, because the other charges have neutralized one another, correct? If you have all charges of one sign, are they going to attract one another, or are they going to get as far from each other as possible?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
are they going to get as far from each other as possible?
They are going to get as far from each other as possible.
But why on the outer surface of the spherical shell not on the small conductor?

gracy said:
They are going to get as far from each other as possible.
But why on the outer surface of the spherical shell not on the small conductor?
Because they can migrate from the small conductor to the spherical shell, and thereby get further apart.

Likes gracy

1. What is the definition of "problem related to two conductors in contact"?

The problem related to two conductors in contact refers to the study of the behavior and interactions between two conductors when they are in physical contact with each other. This can include topics such as electrical resistance, heat transfer, and electrostatics.

2. What are the common challenges when dealing with two conductors in contact?

Some common challenges when dealing with two conductors in contact include the risk of short circuits, changes in electrical resistance due to contact resistance, and the potential for heat generation and transfer between the conductors.

3. How do you calculate the contact resistance between two conductors?

The contact resistance between two conductors can be calculated using the formula R = (ρc/Ac), where R is the contact resistance, ρc is the contact resistivity, and Ac is the contact area between the two conductors.

4. What factors can affect the electrical resistance of two conductors in contact?

Several factors can affect the electrical resistance of two conductors in contact, including the material properties of the conductors, the contact area and pressure between the conductors, and the presence of any contaminants or oxides on the contact surfaces.

5. How can the problem of two conductors in contact be mitigated?

The problem of two conductors in contact can be mitigated by using materials with low contact resistance, ensuring proper contact area and pressure, and keeping the contact surfaces clean and free of contaminants. Additionally, using insulation or barriers between the conductors can also help prevent short circuits and other issues.