Question Regarding Thermal Energy

In summary: Yes, I am 100% sure, I have even tried spelling out Celsius and it refuses to take the response.A gas still has internal energy at 0, -10, even -100°C. You need to work with an absolute temperature scale. Know what I mean?
dismalice

Homework Statement

An ideal gas is at 20C. The gas is cooled, reducing the thermal energy by 35%, What is the new temperature in C?

Homework Equations

None in particular.

The Attempt at a Solution

35% of 20C is 7, 20-7= 13C

Physics news on Phys.org
dismalice said:

Homework Statement

An ideal gas is at 20C. The gas is cooled, reducing the thermal energy by 35%, What is the new temperature in C?

Homework Equations

None in particular.

The Attempt at a Solution

35% of 20C is 7, 20-7= 13C
Note the phrase that I have highlighted in red above. :wink:

Hootenanny said:
Note the phrase that I have highlighted in red above. :wink:

I do not follow, can you please explain to me what you mean?

dismalice said:
I do not follow, can you please explain to me what you mean?
Sorry for being so cryptic. I misread your post - I thought that you were saying the answer was 7, which obviously it isn't! Your answer is correct.

Hootenanny said:
Sorry for being so cryptic. I misread your post - I thought that you were saying the answer was 7, which obviously it isn't! Your answer is correct.

Mastering Physics is not taking that answer as correct. Is there another way of looking at this problem?

Can anyone else assist me with this problem?

dismalice said:
Can anyone else assist me with this problem?
The internal energy of an ideal gas is directly proportional to the temperature. Therefore, a 35% reduction in internal energy will result in a 35% reduction temperature. Unless there is more information that you have provided us with, that is the answer.

Computerised marking software can be notoriously pedantic. Are you sure that you are entering the answer in the correct form? I.e. with/without units, to the correct number of significant figures?

Hootenanny said:
The internal energy of an ideal gas is directly proportional to the temperature. Therefore, a 35% reduction in internal energy will result in a 35% reduction temperature. Unless there is more information that you have provided us with, that is the answer.

Computerised marking software can be notoriously pedantic. Are you sure that you are entering the answer in the correct form? I.e. with/without units, to the correct number of significant figures?

Yes, I am 100% sure, I have even tried spelling out Celsius and it refuses to take the response.

A gas still has internal energy at 0, -10, even -100°C. You need to work with an absolute temperature scale. Know what I mean?

1. What is thermal energy?

Thermal energy is the energy that is generated by the movement of particles within a substance. It is also known as heat energy and is a form of kinetic energy.

2. How is thermal energy measured?

Thermal energy is measured in units of joules (J) or calories (cal). It can also be measured in units of temperature, such as degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit.

3. What are some examples of thermal energy?

Examples of thermal energy include the heat from the sun, the warmth from a fire, the heat from a hot cup of coffee, and the warmth of your body. Any object that has a temperature above absolute zero has thermal energy.

4. How is thermal energy transferred?

Thermal energy can be transferred through conduction, convection, or radiation. Conduction is the transfer of thermal energy through direct contact, convection is the transfer of thermal energy through the movement of fluids, and radiation is the transfer of thermal energy through electromagnetic waves.

5. What is the relationship between thermal energy and temperature?

Thermal energy and temperature are related, but they are not the same thing. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance, while thermal energy is the total kinetic energy of all the particles in a substance. In other words, temperature measures the intensity of heat, while thermal energy measures the quantity of heat.