Conversion of Thermal Energy into Work

In summary: Paper 1 from November 2014. Thermal energy is converted into work when a cycle is completed. Thermal energy can be converted into work in a single process, but it cannot be converted into work in a cyclical process.
3432401GSPT
This question appeared in my IB Physics HL mock exam and I am stumped by the answer on the mark sheet. It really should be a trivial question but it's open to interpretation which is why I find it unreasonable. It was in Paper 1 from November 2014,

1. Homework Statement ?

Which of the following is true when thermal energy is converted into work in a single process and a cyclical process:
Single process: / Cyclical process:
A: complete conversion of thermal energy into work can occur / energy must be transferred from system
B: complete conversion of thermal energy into work can never occur / energy must be transferred from system
C: complete conversion of thermal energy into work can occur / energy need not be transferred from system
D: complete conversion of thermal energy into work can never occur / energy need not be transferred from system

The Attempt at a Solution

I was totally happy eliminating answers C and D which left A and B. I answered B. The answer on the mark sheet was A.

The only way I can rationalize the answer comes from the possibility of a slow isothermal expansion of an ideal gas with a piston moving into a vacuum (so with a heat reservoir so the gas in the piston is at thermal equilibrium). However, an ideal gas is exactly that. If they had specified an ideal gas in the question I would have less trouble agreeing with this answer, however, I think the reality is, is that I am pulling in some heat from the surroundings to overcome the attraction between molecules, even if such an energy transfer is very minute. So while according to the ideal gas model A is correct, what is true is B?

Would anyone be able to clarify as to why the above argument is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
3432401GSPT said:
why the above argument is wrong?
You'll have to give us some idea what has been covered for you in "IB."

Even for a substance that is not an ideal gas, so that the internal energy is a function of both temperature and pressure (or specific volume), there must be a way of getting from an initial state to the final state having the same internal energy, but not necessarily the same temperature and pressure.

Chet

What is thermal energy?

Thermal energy is the energy that an object or system possesses due to the motion of its particles. It is a form of kinetic energy that results from the random movements of atoms and molecules within a substance.

What is work in the context of thermal energy conversion?

In the context of thermal energy conversion, work refers to the transfer of energy from a hot object or system to a cooler one. This transfer can be used to perform useful tasks, such as generating electricity or powering a machine.

What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed; it can only be converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

How is thermal energy converted into work?

Thermal energy can be converted into work through various processes, such as combustion, steam power, and thermoelectricity. These processes involve the transfer of heat from a high temperature source to a lower temperature sink, where it is used to power turbines or generate electricity.

What factors affect the efficiency of thermal energy conversion?

The efficiency of thermal energy conversion depends on several factors, including the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs, the type of energy conversion process used, and the materials and design of the conversion system. Generally, higher temperature differences and more efficient conversion processes result in greater overall efficiency.