1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem understanding simple constant acceeleration problem

1. Dec 17, 2014 #1
    hi

i have an exam and i was trying solving old exams and i came upon this problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Due to air resistance, a 60- kg parachutist experiences an acceleration of 3.0 m/s2 while
    falling in the air. If she falls 80 m in 12 seconds what is her final speed (in m/s)?
    2. Relevant equations
    i know its a constant acceleration problem so
    vf=vi+at
    D=vit+0.5at^2
    vf^2=vi^2+2aD

3. The attempt at a solution
    D is Y2-Y1 =(-80-0)=-80
    by using 2nd equation vi=24.7
    and then using 1st equation vf should be -11.3
    so final speed should be 11.3
    but when i checked the answer i found it different

here is the answer that i found
    d=vt-1/2at^2
    -80=12v-1/2(-3)(12)^2
    v=24.7=25 m/s
    final answer is 25

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2014 #2

Nathanael

Homework Helper

Welcome to Physics Forums.

I'm not sure if your answer is 11.3, or 24.7, but I agree with the answer of 24.7 m/s

Since acceleration is constant, you can find the average speed by taking half of the sum of the initial and final speeds.
    In 12 seconds at 3m/s/s, the initial speed would be 36 m/s less than the final speed, so you get [itex]V_{avg}=\frac{1}{2}(V_f+(V_f-36))=V_f-18[/itex]
    But the average speed is also the total distance divided by the total time so you get [itex]V_{avg}=V_f-18=\frac{80}{12}[/itex]
    and thus [itex]V_f≈24.7[/itex]

4. Dec 17, 2014 #3
    Don't you think it's a little weird that the initial velocity was upward at 11.3 m/s? Do you think that whoever made up the problem didn't realize this?

Chet

5. Dec 17, 2014 #4

Nathanael

Homework Helper

Oh wow, I didn't realize this either! Well, that doesn't make much sense... :confused:

6. Dec 17, 2014 #5

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Was looking at it and thought I needed to take a nap. Tried pulling the rip cord at t=0, putting the chute into an updraft. Gave up.

7. Dec 17, 2014 #6
    I think that whoever made up the problem was taking a nap.

Chet

8. Dec 17, 2014 #7
    this was a short problem from last year exam (it's the official answer according to physics department)

so i am not doing something wrong? Untitled.png

9. Dec 17, 2014 #8
    I can't see how they got this answer. For one thing, the solution to their equation is -24.7, not + 24.7. The equation itself doesn't make sense to me.

Here's how I would have done it (with downward velocities, displacements, and accelerations treated as positive):
    [tex]80 = v_i(12)+\frac{3}{2}(12)^2[/tex]
    v_i = -11.33 m/s

v_f = v_i + 3(12) = 24.7 m/s

Nathanael's method in post #2 is equally acceptable (maybe better), and gives the same answer.

Chet

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  10. Dec 17, 2014 #9
    thank you all for clarification

i will ask my dr about it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted