What is the general Fourier series for an even function with a period of 4?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the steady state periodic solution of a differential equation, specifically x''+10x= F(t) where F(t) is an even function of period 4. The main issue is finding the general Fourier series for F(t), with a focus on solving for the coefficients a(0) and a(n). The final result for a(n) is [6/npi]*[sin(npi/2)], which can be expressed as a_n = \frac {6}{(2p+1) \pi}(-1)^p where p = 0,1,2,...
Giuseppe
Can anyone help me out with this?

Find the steady state periodic solution of the following differential equation.

x''+10x= F(t), where F(t) is the even function of period 4 such that
F(t)=3 if 0<t<1 , F(t)=-3 if 1<t<2.

Im basically just having a problem findind the general Fourier series for F(t).
I know how to do the latter part of the problem.

My work so far: Knowing this is even, I can eliminate the sin part of the Fourier series. So in general I need to solve for the series cofficients of a(0) and a(n)

for a(o) I get 0. Which makes sense too, even just by inspection of the graph of the function.

My problem is with a(n). My final result is [6/npi]*[sin(npi/2)]. How do I express that second term in my answer. I noticed that the sign alternates every other odd number. a(n) =0 for every even number.

Thanks a bunch

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry about that folks. I posted this in the wrong thread.

One way is to introduce n = 2p+1 and see that

[tex]a_n = \frac {6}{(2p+1) \pi}(-1)^p[/tex] where [tex]p = 0,1,2,...[/tex]

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions. It is used to analyze and approximate complex periodic functions.

2. What are the main applications of Fourier series?

Fourier series have a wide range of applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are commonly used in signal processing, image and sound compression, heat transfer analysis, and solving differential equations.

3. What is the problem with a Fourier series?

The main problem with a Fourier series is that it may not accurately represent a non-periodic function or a function with discontinuities. It can also lead to Gibbs phenomenon, which is the appearance of overshoots and undershoots near the discontinuities of a function.

4. How can the problem with a Fourier series be overcome?

There are several techniques to overcome the limitations of a Fourier series. One approach is to use a truncated Fourier series, where only a finite number of terms are used to approximate the function. Another approach is to use other types of series, such as the Taylor series, to approximate non-periodic functions.

5. What are the advantages of using a Fourier series?

Despite its limitations, a Fourier series has many advantages. It provides a compact and efficient way to represent periodic functions, making it useful in various applications. It also has a well-developed mathematical theory, making it easier to analyze and manipulate compared to other series.