Solving an IVP Problem: dx/dt, x(0) & Equilibrium Points

• Thread starter Tryingtolearn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ivp
In summary, the conversation discusses an IVP problem involving the equation dx/dt= -(1-(1/x))*(1/x^.5), with specific conditions and questions about potential solutions, equilibrium points, initial velocity, and distance changes. The conversation also includes clarifications on the equation and suggestions for integration.
Tryingtolearn
I'm trying to solve an IVP problem but have not had a lot of Diff Eq to really understand this.

The IVP is

dx/dt = -(1-(1/x))*(1/(x^.5)) , x>1
x(0) = 2

I guess some of the things I'm looking for with this is:
Any unique solutions
equilibrium points
Initial velocity
distance increasing or decreasing

Any additional help on how to solve this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
We can write dx/dt= -(1-(1/x))*(1/x^.5)) as -(x- 1)/x^1.5)

There is not t on the right so we can write this in differential form as
- x^1.5/(x-1)dx= dt.

Now integrate both sides to find the solutions.

The rest are even easier. An "equilibrium point" is a point where x doesn't change: the derivative is 0: dx/dt = -(1-(1/x))*(1/(x^.5)) = 0. Solve that equation for x.

distance (x) is increasing where the derivative is positive and decreasing where it is negative. Since you have a formula for dx/dt, that should be as easy as determining where it was 0.

I'm sorry, I guess I don't see how -(1-(1/x))*(1/x^.5)) is the same as -(x- 1)/x^1.5). I've been straining with with algebra but I just don't see that.

If it is -(x- 1)/x^1.5 then I'm at a loss for how to integrate this.

Thanks.

Subtract the fractions: 1- 1/x= x/x- 1/x= (x-1)/x. Now multiply by (1/x.5): (x-1)/(x*x.5)= (x-1)/(x1.5). All that's missing now is the negative sign.

-(x-1)/x1.5= -(x/x1.5-1/x1.5)= -x1-1.5+x-1.5= -x-.5- x-1.5. Can you integrate that?

FAQ: Solving an IVP Problem: dx/dt, x(0) & Equilibrium Points

1. How do I solve an IVP problem with dx/dt and x(0) given?

Solving an IVP problem with dx/dt and x(0) involves using the initial condition x(0) to find the specific solution to the differential equation. This can be done by using integration techniques or by using a numerical method such as Euler's method.

2. What is the significance of equilibrium points in an IVP problem?

Equilibrium points are points where the derivative of the function, dx/dt, is equal to zero. In an IVP problem, these points represent the points where the solution to the differential equation remains constant over time. They can also provide information about the behavior of the solution near these points.

3. How can I determine the stability of equilibrium points in an IVP problem?

The stability of an equilibrium point can be determined by analyzing the behavior of the solution near that point. This can be done by finding the sign of the derivative at that point. If the derivative is positive, the point is unstable, and if it is negative, the point is stable.

4. Can I use software to solve an IVP problem with dx/dt and x(0)?

Yes, there are many software programs available that can solve IVP problems with dx/dt and x(0). These programs use numerical methods and can provide accurate solutions to the differential equation. However, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques involved in solving IVP problems before using software.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving an IVP problem?

One common mistake is to forget to use the initial condition x(0) when solving the differential equation. This will result in an incorrect solution. It is also important to carefully check the solution and make sure it satisfies the given initial condition and differential equation. Additionally, be aware of any discontinuities or singularities in the solution that may affect the accuracy of the solution.