Problem with BitLocker Recovery - can't type letters

• Thread starter enosis_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type
In summary, the OP's BitLocker password stopped working and they found the BitLocker Recovery key - but they can't type any letters into the field. They found a link to how to obtain the key, but it was removed before they could post it. The key is just as important to protect physically as the data it protects cryptographically, and without the key they won't be able to get access to the data on the drive.
enosis_
I have a Dell Latitude E5510 running Windows 10 pro. My BitLocker password stopped working and I'm locked out. I found the BitLocker Recovery key - but I can't type ANY letters into the field.

<Editor note: Key removed. Not essential to the problem.>

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Ok - thanks. I posted the key because a tech told me a numeral only alternative might be available/comparable to my specific version? They just didn't know how to research it?

The reason you can't type letters is that BitLocker Recovery Keys are ALL NUMERIC. The key you are looking for is a string of 48 numbers. I didn't see the key you posted before it was removed, but whatever it was, if it had letters in it, it was not a BitLocker Recovery Key.

Here's a link to how to obtain your recovery key:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...cker-recovery-keys-frequently-asked-questions

And some information on performing recovery:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn383583(v=ws.11).aspx

Good luck to you!

Likes sysprog and stoomart
Thank you rkolter. I've already consulted the microsoft information - couldn't help me. The recovery key that I was able to find has a mix of numbers and letters. They have advised me to have the system reinstalled. It looks like all of my files and software are lost?

enosis_ said:
Thank you rkolter. I've already consulted the microsoft information - couldn't help me. The recovery key that I was able to find has a mix of numbers and letters. They have advised me to have the system reinstalled. It looks like all of my files and software are lost?

Without the key, you won't be able to get access to the data on the drive - If you could get access to the data, then BitLocker wouldn't be much of a safeguard against data theft. Try to find that 48 number key, or reimage and pull your data from backups, if you have them.

Likes sysprog
The problem is I bought this computer used - don't have any of the original info?

I can see why you didn't lead with that irksome bit of information. That raises enough red flags in my mind that you're on your own.

Likes sysprog
Please don't misunderstand. I purchased the computer when it came off a commercial lease about a year and a half ago. I upgraded to Windows 10 pro last May. I haven't had any problems until now.

The key is just as important to protect physically as the data it protects cryptographically; sounds like a hard way to learn about basic data protection hygiene.

Indeed! I made a point to search the key info for this computer and print it out.

rkolter said:
The reason you can't type letters is that BitLocker Recovery Keys are ALL NUMERIC. The key you are looking for is a string of 48 numbers. I didn't see the key you posted before it was removed, but whatever it was, if it had letters in it, it was not a BitLocker Recovery Key.

Here's a link to how to obtain your recovery key:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...cker-recovery-keys-frequently-asked-questions

And some information on performing recovery:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn383583(v=ws.11).aspx

Good luck to you!
THANK YOU! It worked. The instructions on the Bitlocker screen weren't clear enough but you HELPED. I wish I had found your site 6 hours ago! Wishing you the best of luck as you continue to help people with their computers. jmurphy

Likes berkeman and sysprog
Last edited:
enosis_ said:
It looks like all of my files and software are lost?
Glad you managed to recover access to your PC, @jamurphy, I've referenced the OP's original concern with two potential suggestions, having had a BitLocker fail myself in recent years:
  1. Take a look at the open source backup app, Duplicati. I use it because it's good...and it's free! It is also a great hedge against ransomware if you set your backup set correctly. I have multiple storage locations set up because I'm tin hat paranoid about losing data!
  2. Consider buying an Office 365 subscription just for the 1TB OneDrive storage. It is about the cheapest cloud file space you can find (plus you get the Office apps, which I find useful, at least) and if you set your local OneDrive to force duplication to the cloud, you files are in two places - your PC and Microsoft's servers. You can also connect another PC to OneDrive and create a third backup location, if you have a spare one around.
I also suggest a VPN for routine internet access on all your devices for the added protection against malicious actors coming down the pipe at you (not to mention the FB and Google cookie monsters).

Those two points recovered me from a BitLocker lockout where my only option was to rebuild my laptop. With everything important stored in the cloud, it was tedious, but not tragic 👍

Likes Wrichik Basu

1. What is BitLocker Recovery?

BitLocker Recovery is a security feature in Microsoft Windows that allows users to encrypt their hard drives and protect their data from unauthorized access.

2. Why can't I type letters in the BitLocker Recovery screen?

This could be due to a number of reasons, such as a malfunctioning keyboard, a software issue, or a problem with the BitLocker encryption process. It is important to troubleshoot the issue to determine the root cause.

3. How can I fix the problem with typing letters in BitLocker Recovery?

If the issue is related to a malfunctioning keyboard, try using a different keyboard or connecting your current keyboard to a different USB port. If it is a software issue, try restarting your computer or running a system scan for any potential errors. If the problem persists, you may need to contact technical support for further assistance.

4. Can I bypass BitLocker Recovery without typing letters?

No, the BitLocker Recovery screen is a security feature and it is not possible to bypass it without providing the correct password or recovery key. This is to ensure that only authorized users have access to the encrypted data.

5. Can I prevent this problem from happening in the future?

To prevent any future issues with the BitLocker Recovery screen, it is important to regularly backup your recovery key and keep it in a safe and secure location. Additionally, make sure to regularly update your computer's software and run antivirus scans to prevent any potential software issues that could interfere with the BitLocker encryption process.