Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with BitLocker Recovery - can't type letters

1. Feb 23, 2017 #1
    I have a Dell Latitude E5510 running Windows 10 pro. My BitLocker password stopped working and I'm locked out. I found the BitLocker Recovery key - but I can't type ANY letters into the field.

<Editor note: Key removed. Not essential to the problem.>

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2017 #2
    Ok - thanks. I posted the key because a tech told me a numeral only alternative might be available/comparable to my specific version? They just didn't know how to research it?

4. Mar 3, 2017 #3
    The reason you can't type letters is that BitLocker Recovery Keys are ALL NUMERIC. The key you are looking for is a string of 48 numbers. I didn't see the key you posted before it was removed, but whatever it was, if it had letters in it, it was not a BitLocker Recovery Key.

Here's a link to how to obtain your recovery key:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...cker-recovery-keys-frequently-asked-questions

And some information on performing recovery:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn383583(v=ws.11).aspx

Good luck to you!

5. Mar 3, 2017 #4
    Thank you rkolter. I've already consulted the microsoft information - couldn't help me. The recovery key that I was able to find has a mix of numbers and letters. They have advised me to have the system reinstalled. It looks like all of my files and software are lost?

6. Mar 3, 2017 #5
    Without the key, you won't be able to get access to the data on the drive - If you could get access to the data, then BitLocker wouldn't be much of a safeguard against data theft. Try to find that 48 number key, or reimage and pull your data from backups, if you have them.

7. Mar 3, 2017 #6
    The problem is I bought this computer used - don't have any of the original info?

8. Mar 3, 2017 #7
    I can see why you didn't lead with that irksome bit of information. That raises enough red flags in my mind that you're on your own.

9. Mar 3, 2017 #8
    Please don't misunderstand. I purchased the computer when it came off a commercial lease about a year and a half ago. I upgraded to Windows 10 pro last May. I haven't had any problems until now.

10. Mar 5, 2017 #9
    The key is just as important to protect physically as the data it protects cryptographically; sounds like a hard way to learn about basic data protection hygiene.

11. Mar 6, 2017 #10
    Indeed! I made a point to search the key info for this computer and print it out.

12. Mar 6, 2017 #11
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted