Problem with convergent sequences

In summary, the conversation discusses the remaining questions in a problem involving convergent sequences and the need to prove or provide a counterexample to various statements. The first two questions have been solved, using a counterexample for A and the fact that 1/(n^3+4) approaches 0 for B. The conversation then explores potential counterexamples for C and D, but it is unclear if the proposed solutions hold for negative values of n.
gilabert1985
Hi, I have the following problem and have done the first two questions, but I don't know how to solve the last two. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Homework Statement

Let [itex]a_{n}\rightarrow a[/itex], [itex]b_{n}\rightarrow b[/itex] be convergent sequences in [itex]\Re[/itex]. Prove, or give a counterexample to, the following statements:

A) [itex]a_{n}[/itex] is a monotone sequence;
B) if [itex]a_{n}>b_{n}+1/(n^3+4)[/itex], then [itex]a>b[/itex];
C) if [itex]a_{n}>((n^3+1)/(2n^3+1))b_{n}[/itex], then a>b;
D) if [itex]s_{n}=(1/n)(a_1+...+a_n)[/itex], then [itex]s_n \rightarrow a[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved the first two. For A I have given the counterexample [itex]a_n=sin(n)/n[/itex] and for B I have used the fact that as n goes to infinity, [itex]1/(n^3+4)[/itex] approaches 0, which would give [itex]a_n > b_n[/itex], which is a>b when n goes to infinity.

I have tried the same thing with C, but it gives me [itex]a>(1/2)b[/itex], which doesn't lead me anywhere, I think. And for D, I think that as n goes to infinity, [itex]s_n[/itex] will be close to [itex]a_n[/itex] because [itex]s_n ≈ (1/n)*n*a_n[/itex], which is the same as saying [itex]s_n \rightarrow a[/itex]. However, I don't know if this is correct, and if it is, how am I supposed to express it?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
gilabert1985 said:
Hi, I have the following problem and have done the first two questions, but I don't know how to solve the last two. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Homework Statement

Let [itex]a_{n}\rightarrow a[/itex], [itex]b_{n}\rightarrow b[/itex] be convergent sequences in [itex]\Re[/itex]. Prove, or give a counterexample to, the following statements:

A) [itex]a_{n}[/itex] is a monotone sequence;
B) if [itex]a_{n}>b_{n}+1/(n^3+4)[/itex], then [itex]a>b[/itex];
C) if [itex]a_{n}>((n^3+1)/(2n^3+1))b_{n}[/itex], then a>b;
D) if [itex]s_{n}=(1/n)(a_1+...+a_n)[/itex], then [itex]s_n \rightarrow a[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved the first two. For A I have given the counterexample [itex]a_n=sin(n)/n[/itex] and for B I have used the fact that as n goes to infinity, [itex]1/(n^3+4)[/itex] approaches 0, which would give [itex]a_n > b_n[/itex], which is a>b when n goes to infinity.
Think about that last statement if ##a_n = \frac 2 {n^3+4}## and ##b_n=0##.

Thanks!

So that would give me [itex]2/(n^3+4)>1/(n^3+4)[/itex], which holds when n goes to infinity.

So could I use something similar for part C then, something like [itex]b_n=0[/itex] or [itex]b_n=1[/itex]? With [itex]b_n=1[/itex], I could have [itex]a_n=(2n^3+1)/(2n^3+1)[/itex]?

However, they would not hold for negative values of n? I am confused :/

LCKurtz said:
Think about that last statement if ##a_n = \frac 2 {n^3+4}## and ##b_n=0##.

gilabert1985 said:
Thanks!

So that would give me [itex]2/(n^3+4)>1/(n^3+4)[/itex], which holds when n goes to infinity.

I'm not sure you understand my example and I don't know what you mean when you say it "holds when n goes to infinity". The ##a_n## and ##b_n## in my example go ##a=0## and ##b=0## respectively. The ##a_n>b_n## does not hold in the limit.

What is a convergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is a sequence of numbers that approaches a specific value as the number of terms in the sequence increases. This specific value is known as the limit of the sequence.

How do you determine if a sequence is convergent or divergent?

A sequence is convergent if the terms in the sequence approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases. To determine if a sequence is convergent, you can use various tests such as the limit comparison test, ratio test, or root test. If the limit of the sequence exists and is finite, the sequence is convergent. If the limit does not exist or is infinite, the sequence is divergent.

What is the difference between absolute convergence and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence is a type of convergence in which a series or sequence converges regardless of the order in which the terms are added. In other words, the series or sequence will still converge even if the terms are rearranged. Conditional convergence is a type of convergence in which a series or sequence only converges when the terms are added in a specific order. If the terms are rearranged, the series or sequence may diverge.

What are some real-world applications of convergent sequences?

Convergent sequences are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, biology, and economics. In physics, convergent sequences are used to model the behavior of systems with changing variables, such as the motion of planets in a solar system. In biology, they can be used to model the growth of populations over time. In economics, convergent sequences are used to model the behavior of markets and prices over time.

What are some common ways to prove the convergence of a sequence?

There are several common ways to prove the convergence of a sequence, including the squeeze theorem, the monotone convergence theorem, and the Cauchy convergence criterion. The squeeze theorem states that if a sequence is bounded between two convergent sequences with the same limit, then the original sequence also converges to that limit. The monotone convergence theorem states that if a sequence is either increasing or decreasing and bounded, then it must converge. The Cauchy convergence criterion states that if a sequence satisfies a specific condition (known as the Cauchy criterion), then it must converge.