Problem with equation / proving formula

• Thread starter Trec93
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the speaker needs to prove a formula involving velocity and a coefficient of friction. They provide their attempt at a solution but are unsure if they made a mistake or if there is an error in the provided equation. The other person agrees that there may be a mistake and clarifies the meaning of the variable u.
Trec93

Homework Statement

I have to prove some formula, I got stuck in the process.

Homework Equations

Formula to prove:
[tex]v_{0} = \frac{M+m}{m}\sqrt{2gus}[/tex]
Valid equation that should get me to this formula:
[tex]\frac{m^2v_{0}^2}{2(M+m)} = gmus[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]v_{0}^2=\frac{2(M+m)}{m^2}gmus[/tex]
[tex]v_{0}^2 = \frac{M+m}{m}2gus[/tex]
[tex]v_{0} = \sqrt{\frac{M+m}{m}2gus}[/tex]

I'm pretty sure my math has failed me here, that right handside of the equation seems fishy, or maybe book did a mistake?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be correct may be there is a mistake in the book, what is u?

Likes Trec93
Yeah I'm probably going to assume that there's a mistake in the book, u is the coefficient of friction, this equation is the given equation of kinetic energy = work where the force is the force of friction.

1. What are some common mistakes when solving equations?

Common mistakes when solving equations include forgetting to distribute, not following the order of operations, and making calculation errors. It is important to double check your work and be mindful of these common mistakes.

2. How can I check if my equation is correct?

To check if your equation is correct, you can plug in the values given and solve the equation. You can also use a graphing calculator or online equation solver to verify your answer.

3. What is the importance of showing all steps when proving a formula?

Showing all steps when proving a formula is important because it allows for transparency and makes it easier for others to follow your reasoning. It also helps to identify any mistakes and allows for easier troubleshooting.

4. What should I do if I am unsure about a step in my equation?

If you are unsure about a step in your equation, you can go back and review the rules and concepts related to that step. You can also consult with a teacher or peer for clarification. It is important to have a solid understanding of each step in order to solve equations accurately.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for equations?

To improve your problem-solving skills for equations, it is important to practice regularly and to challenge yourself with different types of equations. You can also seek help from tutors or online resources that provide step-by-step solutions. Additionally, breaking down and analyzing problems can help improve your problem-solving approach.