Problem with Integration by substitution

In summary: I don't know why I couldn't wrap my head around it last night...I think I was just too tired!In summary, the solution to the given problem involves using u-substitution and then solving for the integral of the new function, which results in a final answer of 2. It is important to remember that the variable used in the substitution is a dummy variable and does not affect the final answer.
stripes

Homework Statement

If [tex]f[/tex] is continuous and [tex]\int^{9}_{0}f(x)dx = 4[/tex], find [tex]\int^{3}_{0}xf(x^{2})dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

None required

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't really know where to begin, but I tried:

for [tex]\int^{3}_{0}xf(x^{2})dx[/tex]
let:
[tex]u = x^{2}[/tex]

[tex]du = 2xdx[/tex]

substitute

[tex]\int^{3}_{0}xf(x^{2})dx = \int^{9}_{0}\frac{1}{2}f(u)du

[/tex]

NOW, for [tex]\int^{9}_{0}f(x)dx = 4[/tex]

let
[tex]u = x[/tex]

[tex]du = dx[/tex]

then we have

[tex]\int^{9}_{0}f(x)dx = 4 = \int^{9}_{0}f(u)du[/tex]

so now...

[tex]\int^{9}_{0}\frac{1}{2}f(u)du = (1/2)(4) = 2[/tex]

so our result, the answer to the second integral is 2.

But I'm pretty sure I'm wrong, I didn't really know where else to go with this so that's what I tried. This question is in the "u-substitution" section of our text, so that's probably the method we use, some sort of substitution.

Any help is appreciated, thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution is correct. Why do you think it's wrong?

The final substitution u=x is pointless, though. All that did was rename a dummy variable.

it seems too simple...

i know that the integral on [0,9] for f(x) is 4.

when I use a "u" substitution on the integral of x(f(x^2)), I change the limits of integration, the integrand, and what we're integrating with respect to.

so we then had to integrate on [0,9] for (1/2)f(u). But f(u) does not equal f(x) and thus int(f(u))du does not equal int(f(x))dx, so we can't mix these two functions, because they aren't the same.

basically when i said:

[tex]
\int^{9}_{0}f(x)dx = 4 = \int^{9}_{0}f(u)du
[/tex]

that's not really true is it? since f(u) and f(x) are not the same function...

That's kind of why I used a u=x at the end.

They are the same function, f(u), f(x),f(a),f(bla) etc are all the same 'functions'. It doesn't matter what name you give to the variable. Besides from your substitution u=x it immediately follows that f(u)=f(x).

that's what i figured (and I'm probably just having a brain fart b/c of the lack of sleep) but "u" does NOT equal "x"...that's what's really getting me!

So since u ≠ x, f(u) ≠ f(x)

blahhhh! why am i arguing if I got the right answer! Everything seems fine, it's just that one thing is bothering me! My latter u=x substitution can't be correct, since earlier I already defined u=x^2...how can i just change what "u" equals again?

I can see where the confusion is coming from. You're right that if we set [itex]u=x^2[/itex] then [itex]f(u)=f(x^2) \neq f(x)[/itex]. To avoid this confusion it's better to not do another substitution with the same letter . In the integral however u functions as a dummy variable. Perhaps your confusion goes away if you consider the integral [tex]\int_0^3 s f(s^2) ds[/tex].

Likes milkism
Cyosis said:
I can see where the confusion is coming from. You're right that if we set [itex]u=x^2[/itex] then [itex]f(u)=f(x^2) \neq f(x)[/itex]. To avoid this confusion it's better to not do another substitution with the same letter . In the integral however u functions as a dummy variable. Perhaps your confusion goes away if you consider the integral [tex]\int_0^3 s f(s^2) ds[/tex].

Exactly correct...why are you getting confused
take this as an example:
Your friend John has 56 apples and he wants to divide these apples among 8 children...so he gives each of the children 7 apples each...Now would the no of apples each child got change if the apples were given by you , me or any anyone else...NO right...same is the case is with variables whether you take u,v or x,y,z...it really does not matter...until the function is same the limit only gets changed when you take for eg u=sqrtx...!Wat you did wrong was to take u=x again it was like trying to give 7 apples to each child but this time with a person who has only 10 with him...
Don't worry these things do take some time to sink in...

I am definitely going to get some sleep and come back to this! Thanks all for your help, I'm glad I ended up with the right answer!

since u ≠ x, it DOES matter if it's x or u!

Alright alright, thanks again everyone, hopefully after some rest I will look at this and have an "a HAH!" moment!

The variables u and x in the integrals are dummy variables. Consider these summations:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n i = \frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{j=1}^n j = \frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/tex]

Your argument is like saying those two summations are different because [itex]i\ne j[/itex]. The name of the variable here really doesn't matter, though. Same thing with the integrals.

hey guys, just wanted to let you all know that after I got some rest and relieved some stress, I realized where my confusion was.

Thanks again for all your help.

1. What is integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is a method used in calculus to find the integral of a function by replacing the variable with a new variable. This allows us to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

2. When should I use integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is useful when the integral contains a complicated function that can be simplified by replacing the variable. This is also known as the "chain rule" in reverse, where we undo the chain rule to find the original function.

3. How do I perform integration by substitution?

To perform integration by substitution, follow these steps:1. Identify the function that can be replaced by a new variable.2. Substitute the function with the new variable.3. Find the derivative of the new variable and multiply it by the original function.4. Rewrite the integral using the new variable and its derivative.5. Solve the integral and substitute the original function back in.

4. What are some common mistakes made when using integration by substitution?

Some common mistakes when using integration by substitution include forgetting to find the derivative of the new variable, not substituting the original function back in after solving the integral, and incorrectly choosing the new variable to replace the original function.

5. Are there any alternative methods to integration by substitution?

Yes, there are alternative methods to integration by substitution such as integration by parts and partial fractions. These methods are useful when the integral cannot be easily simplified by replacing the variable.