Integration by substitution question

In summary: It would make the process much simpler and avoid any confusion. In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from Apostol's "Calculus" Volume 1, which involves showing that the integral of cos^m x sin^m x from 0 to pi/2 is equal to 2^-m times the integral of cos^m x from 0 to pi/2. The conversation also discusses different approaches to solving the problem, such as using substitution and the double-angle or power reduction formulas. It is suggested to use Walli's Formula to simplify the process and avoid confusion.
emjay66

Homework Statement

I've been working on a problem from Apostol "Calculus" Volume 1 (not homework but self study). The problem is Section 5.8, Number 25 (Page 217) and states:
If [tex]$\m$[\tex] is a positive integer, show that:

[itex]\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} cos^m x sin^m x dx = 2^{-m}\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} cos^m x dx[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My thinking (so far) has been that I have two consider two cases,
  1. m odd
  2. m even
When I have tackled $$\m$$ odd, the following occurred (and this is what confused me):
I use the substitution $$u = cos x, du = -sin x dx $
[itex]\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} cos^m x sin^m x dx =
- \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} cos^m x sin^{m-1} x (-sin x) dx
= -\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}cos^m x (sin^2 x)^{\frac{m-1}{2}}(-sin x) dx
= -\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}cos^m x (1 - cos^2 x)^{\frac{m-1}{2}}(-sin x) dx
= -\int_1^0 u^m(1 - u^2)^{\frac{m-1}{2}} du
= \int_0^1 u^m(1 - u^2)^{\frac{m-1}{2}} du
[/itex]
Since this is clearly a binomial expansion within the integral, it seems to me that I am moving away from the answer rather than towards the answer. I know that if $$m$$ odd, I would need to use the half angle formulas for $$sin x$$ and $$ cos x$$. In my opinion, I am clearly missing the point, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm ... tidying that up first:
emjay66 said:

Homework Statement

I've been working on a problem from Apostol "Calculus" Volume 1 (not homework but self study). The problem is Section 5.8, Number 25 (Page 217) and states:
If [itex]m[/itex] is a positive integer, show that:

[tex]\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} cos^m x sin^m x dx = 2^{-m}\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} cos^m x dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My thinking (so far) has been that I have two consider two cases,
  1. m odd
  2. m even
When I have tackled ##m## odd, the following occurred (and this is what confused me):
I use the substitution $$u = \cos x, du = -\sin x dx $$

$$\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \cos^m x \sin^m x dx \\
= - \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \cos^m x \sin^{m-1} x (-\sin x) dx\\
= -\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\cos^m x (\sin^2 x)^{\frac{m-1}{2}}(-\sin x) dx\\
= -\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\cos^m x (1 - \cos^2 x)^{\frac{m-1}{2}}(-\sin x) dx\\
= -\int_1^0 u^m(1 - u^2)^{\frac{m-1}{2}} du\\
= \int_0^1 u^m(1 - u^2)^{\frac{m-1}{2}} du
$$

Since this is clearly a binomial expansion within the integral, it seems to me that I am moving away from the answer rather than towards the answer. I know that if ##m## odd, I would need to use the half angle formulas for ##\sin x## and ##\cos x##. In my opinion, I'm clearly missing the point, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be appreciated.

Likes 1 person
I would have used the double-angle formulas myself - specifically: $$\sin 2x = 2\sin x\cos x$$
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...le.2C_triple-angle.2C_and_half-angle_formulae

There's a reduction formula for ##\int \sin^n x\; dx## and ##\int \cos^n x\; dx##

You could also use the power reduction formulae on the integrands.
This divides into m odd vs m even.

Of course there is also: Note: $$\int \sin^nx\cos^nx\;\dx = -\frac{\sin^{n-1}x\cos^{n+1}x}{2n}+\frac{n-1}{2n}\int \sin^{n-2}x\cos^nx\;dx\; :\; n>0$$
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_integrals_of_trigonometric_functions

You only need to show that the LHS = RHS after the definitite integral BTW: i.e. the areas must be the same, not the integrands.

Last edited:
I would suggest using Walli's Formula rather than doing the integration manually.

What is integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is a method used in calculus to evaluate integrals. It involves replacing a variable in the integral with a new variable, and then solving the integral in terms of the new variable.

When should integration by substitution be used?

Integration by substitution should be used when the integrand (the function being integrated) involves nested functions, such as a function within another function, or when the integrand can be rewritten in terms of a simpler function.

How does integration by substitution work?

Integration by substitution works by using the chain rule of differentiation in reverse. The new variable is chosen in such a way that when it is substituted into the integral, the integrand becomes simpler and easier to evaluate.

What is the general formula for integration by substitution?

The general formula for integration by substitution is ∫f(g(x))g'(x)dx = ∫f(u)du, where u = g(x) and du = g'(x)dx.

What are the common mistakes made when using integration by substitution?

Some common mistakes made when using integration by substitution include choosing the wrong substitution, forgetting to include the chain rule in the integration, and incorrectly rewriting the integral in terms of the new variable. It is important to carefully choose the substitution and to check the work for accuracy.