1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by substitution question

1. Mar 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've been working on a problem from Apostol "Calculus" Volume 1 (not homework but self study). The problem is Section 5.8, Number 25 (Page 217) and states:
    If [tex]$\m$[\tex] is a positive integer, show that:

[itex]\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} cos^m x sin^m x dx = 2^{-m}\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} cos^m x dx[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My thinking (so far) has been that I have two consider two cases,
    1. m odd
    2. m even
    When I have tackled $$\m$$ odd, the following occurred (and this is what confused me):
    I use the substitution $$u = cos x, du = -sin x dx $
    [itex]\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} cos^m x sin^m x dx =
    - \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} cos^m x sin^{m-1} x (-sin x) dx
    = -\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}cos^m x (sin^2 x)^{\frac{m-1}{2}}(-sin x) dx
    = -\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}cos^m x (1 - cos^2 x)^{\frac{m-1}{2}}(-sin x) dx
    = -\int_1^0 u^m(1 - u^2)^{\frac{m-1}{2}} du
    = \int_0^1 u^m(1 - u^2)^{\frac{m-1}{2}} du
    [/itex]
    Since this is clearly a binomial expansion within the integral, it seems to me that I am moving away from the answer rather than towards the answer. I know that if $$m$$ odd, I would need to use the half angle formulas for $$sin x$$ and $$ cos x$$. In my opinion, Im clearly missing the point, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hmmm ... tidying that up first:
    [tex]\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} cos^m x sin^m x dx = 2^{-m}\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} cos^m x dx[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My thinking (so far) has been that I have two consider two cases,
    1. m odd
    2. m even
    When I have tackled ##m## odd, the following occurred (and this is what confused me):
    I use the substitution $$u = \cos x, du = -\sin x dx $$

$$\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \cos^m x \sin^m x dx \\
    = - \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \cos^m x \sin^{m-1} x (-\sin x) dx\\
    = -\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\cos^m x (\sin^2 x)^{\frac{m-1}{2}}(-\sin x) dx\\
    = -\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\cos^m x (1 - \cos^2 x)^{\frac{m-1}{2}}(-\sin x) dx\\
    = -\int_1^0 u^m(1 - u^2)^{\frac{m-1}{2}} du\\
    = \int_0^1 u^m(1 - u^2)^{\frac{m-1}{2}} du
    $$

Since this is clearly a binomial expansion within the integral, it seems to me that I am moving away from the answer rather than towards the answer. I know that if ##m## odd, I would need to use the half angle formulas for ##\sin x## and ##\cos x##. In my opinion, I'm clearly missing the point, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be appreciated.

4. Mar 21, 2014 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I would have used the double-angle formulas myself - specifically: $$\sin 2x = 2\sin x\cos x$$
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...le.2C_triple-angle.2C_and_half-angle_formulae

There's a reduction formula for ##\int \sin^n x\; dx## and ##\int \cos^n x\; dx##

You could also use the power reduction formulae on the integrands.
    This divides into m odd vs m even.

Of course there is also: Note: $$\int \sin^nx\cos^nx\;\dx = -\frac{\sin^{n-1}x\cos^{n+1}x}{2n}+\frac{n-1}{2n}\int \sin^{n-2}x\cos^nx\;dx\; :\; n>0$$
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_integrals_of_trigonometric_functions

You only need to show that the LHS = RHS after the definitite integral BTW: i.e. the areas must be the same, not the integrands.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  5. Mar 21, 2014 #4

utkarshakash

Gold Member

I would suggest using Walli's Formula rather than doing the integration manually.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted