Problem with rotational torque and angular acceleration

In summary, two individuals discuss a physics problem involving a grinding wheel and hanging masses. The first person shares their attempt at solving part A and asks for help with part B. The second person asks for clarification on how the tensions are being calculated and suggests checking the sign convention for acceleration. The first person realizes their mistake and corrects their solution for part B. They also discuss the importance of being consistent with sign conventions in physics problems.
Loopas
I've attached a screenshot of this particular question. I was able to figure out part A but I'm having some difficulty with part B.

Relevant equations:

T = I*alpha
I = .5mr^2 (for a solid cylinder like the grinding wheel)
F = ma

Attempt at solution:

I've gotten as far as setting up the equation and solving for Tf.

(T1-T2)(r) - Tf = (.5)(m)(r)(a)

So Tf = (T1-T2)(r) - (.5)(m)(r)(a)

Which gives me .01878 Nm, which rounds to .019 Nm.

For the acceleration, I've been using .28/6.7 = .04179 m/s^2

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 375
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a free body diagram for each of the hanging masses to get the tensions T1 and T2.

How are you calculating the tensions in part B? They will not be the same as in part A, because the acceleration is different. Pls post all your working for part B.

Ok, I think my problem was caused by using the wrong acceleration to calculate the tensions. I get that the system should have the same acceleration, so using a = .28/6.7 universally:

(T1-T2)(r) - Tf = (.5)(m)(r)(a)
(1.2g-6.5a)(r) - Tf = (.5)(m)(r)(a)
(11.76 - .27)(.049) - Tf = (.5)(.8)(.049)(.042)
.56 - Tf = .00082
Tf = .56 Nm

You might want to check if you plugged in the correct sign for your acceleration.

Since the the acceleration is negative, that should mean that Tf is negative as well?

I think you already took into account the negative direction of the friction torque when you wrote a minus sign in front of the friction torque in your first equation in post #4.

How do you know that the acceleration should have a negative sign convention?

The choice of positive direction is up to you and should be made explicit at the very beginning of setting up the equations. I had to guess what direction you are taking as positive by examining your equations. From the left hand side of the first equation in post #4 it appears to me that you are taking positive direction to be the way the heavier mass tries to accelerate the system. But you are given that when you give the system an initial velocity in this positive direction, it slows down rather than speeds up.

Likes 1 person
So it's pretty much keeping the sign convention consistent. Thanks!

Yes. Good work.

1. What is rotational torque?

Rotational torque, also known as torque or moment of force, is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, or how quickly an object's rotation is changing. It is measured in radians per second squared and is affected by the force and torque applied to an object.

3. How are rotational torque and angular acceleration related?

Rotational torque and angular acceleration are related through Newton's second law, which states that the net torque on an object is equal to its moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion) multiplied by its angular acceleration. In other words, the amount of torque applied to an object determines how quickly it will rotate.

4. What are some common problems encountered with rotational torque and angular acceleration?

Some common problems encountered with rotational torque and angular acceleration include understanding the direction of the torque and acceleration vectors, properly calculating the moment of inertia for complex objects, and accounting for frictional forces that may affect the rotation of an object.

5. How can problems with rotational torque and angular acceleration be solved?

To solve problems with rotational torque and angular acceleration, it is important to have a thorough understanding of the underlying concepts and equations. This includes being able to correctly identify and manipulate vectors, understanding how to calculate moment of inertia, and considering all forces acting on an object. It is also helpful to practice with a variety of problems to build problem-solving skills.