Problem with screen and software

In summary: If you don't have a rotatable screen, or the computer is set to "portrait" orientation by default, then the screen will be turned sideways when you do this.In summary, Pete needs to go to the computer manufacturer's website and find the original drivers for the computer. He also needs to key in a key sequence to turn the screen "sideways" to fix the sound problem.
pmb_phy
I'm at a friends house at the moment. Thefamily has two computers each with a problem I'm unable to solve.

(a) The first one is a problem with sound. There are no sound devices installed as indicated by the sound manager. How to I find the software and install them on the computer?

(a) One day (the other computer) started up and everything read sidewards. How do I attack this problem? I.e. where do I start?

Thank you

Pete

Computer science news on Phys.org
Sounds like you are missing audio and video drivers.
If you go to the computer manufacturer's site there will be a section to download the original drivers that shipped with the computer. Install them and see if helps.

Job is correct. The drivers aren't installed. If the Device Manager is finding an "Unknown Device" that is most likely the audio if it's the only one listed.

If you see "Media" or "Audio Controller" that is the recognized device without proper drivers.

If you know the audio device is physically installed properly in the machine, and the device manager is not pulling up the device as "Unknown" or it doesn't have proper drivers, and you have also confirmed that it's no where in the list in the Device Manager, then the card is toast. If it is installed correctly, and the drivers are properly loaded and Device Manager is reporting no errors for the device, then it's most likely a settings problem with the card, or possibly could even be the speakers you are using are bad (try others to be sure)

If it is a Dell or HP computer, go to their website and download the proper drivers depending on the model (unless he has added his own card)

if it was a custom built computer and you have no idea what brand it is, then you can usually open up the case, look at the card, and find a serial number or model on it and google it SOMETIMES you can find it that way.

Anyway,
good luck!

Whoops I missed the second problem

If you are talking about the screen is turned "Sideways" there is a key-sequence that SOME computers have that could of caused it.

I am not exactly 100% sure what it is, but it's something like "CTRL+ALT+Left Arrow" which will turn it a direction. Try that key combo (might also throw shift in there a few times for kicks) and hit the "UP" arrow, which will set it right...

now this is all in saying that this is the problem it has, could be completely different.

(a) On PCs with "on board" sound, there is usually an option in the BIOS setup to disable it, if you want to replace the onboard sound hardware with a soundcard. Check the sound hardware isn't disabled in the BIOS.

(b) What ScaleMaster said - and the reason you would want to turn the screen "sideways" is if you have an LCD monitor with a rotatable screen, so you can display a full page of a document in portrait mode, and also watch movies in landscape mode.

1. What could be causing my screen to freeze or glitch?

There are several potential causes for screen issues, such as outdated software or drivers, hardware malfunctions, or viruses. It's best to troubleshoot each potential cause to determine the specific issue.

2. Why does my screen turn off suddenly?

This could be due to power settings, such as a screensaver or sleep mode, or a hardware issue with the monitor or computer. Check your power settings and make sure all cables are securely connected.

3. How do I fix a blue screen of death?

A blue screen of death (BSOD) is typically caused by a hardware or driver issue. Try restarting your computer and updating all drivers and software. If the issue persists, it may require more in-depth troubleshooting or professional assistance.

4. Why is my software not responding?

Software not responding can be caused by various factors, such as insufficient memory or processing power, corrupted files, or conflicts with other programs. Try closing unnecessary programs and restarting your computer. If the issue persists, try updating or reinstalling the software.

5. How can I prevent future screen and software issues?

To prevent screen and software issues, make sure to regularly update your software and drivers, use reputable antivirus software, and properly maintain your computer. It's also helpful to regularly back up important files and documents in case of any unexpected issues.