Turning a desktop PC into a WiFi hotspot using Connectify software

In summary: Let me describe the situation in a bit more detail. We have no "personal" router. The Ethernet line directly enters our desktop through the LAN card.Outside our house, there is a router provided by the ISP. It provides connections to a number the houses in our neighbourhood.If we put the Ethernet line into any computer other than the desktop we normally use, there is no Internet. We have to call up the ISP, and they will clearly ask, "Have you changed the LAN card? It's visible in our system." If the answer is yes, they will ask some security questions and register the
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I was reading online that Connectify can be used to convert any desktop or laptop PC into a hotspot.

Our PC is fitted with Windows 7 Pro, 32-bit. It doesn't have an inbuilt WiFi adapter, and connects to the Internet using Ethernet.

I wanted to make a hotspot using this desktop. There are plenty of sites and youtube videos that will tell you how to use the Connectify software. But what hardware is required? How are people making this hotspot? Using the WiFi adapter that is normally used for connecting the PC to a WiFi hotspot?

There are good USB WiFi adapters available online, and some of them are low-priced too. Do I need one of these to make the hotspot?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You don't need additional software to create a hotspot, you can do this straight in the network settings (in Win 10 it is even easier - just click on the wifi icon and it shows you a 'Mobile hotspot' option).

But yes, you do need WiFi hardware so if it is not built in you need to add one - either USB or an internal card.

Alternatively you could put a WiFi router between your desktop and the ethernet connection it is using (or replace the existing router with one with WiFi) - that way you still have WiFi if the PC is off/crashed/rebooting/broken.

pbuk said:
But yes, you do need WiFi hardware so if it is not built in you need to add one - either USB or an internal card.
Thanks.
pbuk said:
Alternatively you could put a WiFi router between your desktop and the ethernet connection it is using (or replace the existing router with one with WiFi) - that way you still have WiFi if the PC is off/crashed/rebooting/broken.
No, I cannot do that. Last time I changed the LAN card, I had to call up the ISP to register the new card and allow access. They don't allow any external router.

Wrichik Basu said:
No, I cannot do that. Last time I changed the LAN card, I had to call up the ISP to register the new card and allow access. They don't allow any external router.
I've never heard of so restrictive of a policy.

russ_watters said:
I've never heard of so restrictive of a policy.
Then you are not aware of how priviliged you are to live in an economy which resepects (at least to some extent) net neutrality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes russ_watters
Wrichik Basu said:

It would help to have a network diagram, because changing your PC LAN card should be invisible to the ISP, unless they are locking down MAC addresses in their provided router, and that would be an admin nightmare for them. It also testable - what happens when you plug a new PC onto your LAN? Can it access the internet? Or does the ISP have to be involved?

Is it your own router, by the way?

Basically, visibility of your PC MAC address stops at the router interface and does not traverse the WAN. Possibly, the 'router' they have provided you is not actually routing, but is merely a network extender so that your 'LAN' is bigger than you think. Hopefully not, that's a security can of worms that it's unlikely an ISP would want to open!

Likes russ_watters
Tghu Verd said:
It would help to have a network diagram, because changing your PC LAN card should be invisible to the ISP, unless they are locking down MAC addresses in their provided router, and that would be an admin nightmare for them. It also testable - what happens when you plug a new PC onto your LAN? Can it access the internet? Or does the ISP have to be involved?

Is it your own router, by the way?

Basically, visibility of your PC MAC address stops at the router interface and does not traverse the WAN. Possibly, the 'router' they have provided you is not actually routing, but is merely a network extender so that your 'LAN' is bigger than you think. Hopefully not, that's a security can of worms that it's unlikely an ISP would want to open!
Let me describe the situation in a bit more detail. We have no "personal" router. The Ethernet line directly enters our desktop through the LAN card.

Outside our house, there is a router provided by the ISP. It provides connections to a number the houses in our neighbourhood.

If we put the Ethernet line into any computer other than the desktop we normally use, there is no Internet. We have to call up the ISP, and they will clearly ask, "Have you changed the LAN card? It's visible in our system." If the answer is yes, they will ask some security questions and register the new LAN card, but only one card is allowed at a time. Sometimes they visit our house to check if we have installed any personal router.

A question might arise that why we still take services from this ISP even after all these restrictions. The reason is, they provide unlimited (yes, you've read it right) data for a cheap fixed price, and the speed (100Mbps) is good enough for our work.

OK, thanks. That sounds like a cable network, essentially an Ethernet LAN in the street. Are you aware that other PCs in your street could see your PC and LAN data? Depends on how good the ISP is at locking things down on their side.

So, along with your new WiFi card, if you haven't already, you need to set up VPN software so that the details of all traffic is encrypted. I like Windscribe myself, and have previously used Tunnel Bear, but there are many to choose from.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Tghu Verd said:
Are you aware that other PCs in your street could see your PC and LAN data?
Network discovery is switched off in our desktop by default.
Tghu Verd said:
So, along with your new WiFi card, if you haven't already, you need to set up VPN software so that the details of all traffic is encrypted. I like Windscribe myself, and have previously used Tunnel Bear, but there are many to choose from.
Will look into that.

Wrichik Basu said:
Network discovery is switched off in our desktop be default.

Sadly, that's not enough to stop malicious entry, esp. if you are running Win 7 as you noted. It would be worth asking the ISP what measures they take to segment/protect PCs, because if they are relying on their customers goodwill or (lack of?) knowledge for this, I strongly recommend you find another ISP who allows you to properly protect your infrastructure. Unlimited data and 100Mbps is not a good trade off for flimsy security.

Tghu Verd said:
Sadly, that's not enough to stop malicious entry, esp. if you are running Win 7 as you noted. It would be worth asking the ISP what measures they take to segment/protect PCs, because if they are relying on their customers goodwill or (lack of?) knowledge for this, I strongly recommend you find another ISP who allows you to properly protect your infrastructure. Unlimited data and 100Mbps is not a good trade off for flimsy security.
Writing more about this will take the thread in a different direction than originally intended, but you've probable solved the question as to why we found some spam in the user temp folder every six months or so. I'll have a word with the ISP asap.

Likes member 656954
Wrichik Basu said:
Writing more about this will take the thread in a different direction than originally intended

Good call, and good luck!

Likes Wrichik Basu

1. How do I turn my desktop PC into a WiFi hotspot?

To turn your desktop PC into a WiFi hotspot, you will need to download and install Connectify software. Once installed, open the software and click on the "Hotspot" tab. Then, click on the "Start Hotspot" button to begin sharing your internet connection as a WiFi hotspot.

2. Can I create a WiFi hotspot with Connectify on any desktop PC?

Yes, as long as your desktop PC has a WiFi adapter and is running Windows 7 or higher, you can use Connectify to turn it into a WiFi hotspot. However, please note that the free version of Connectify only supports Windows 7 and 8, while the paid versions support all versions of Windows.

3. Does using Connectify to create a WiFi hotspot affect my internet speed?

Yes, when you turn your desktop PC into a WiFi hotspot using Connectify, your internet speed may be affected. This is because your computer is now acting as a router and is dividing its internet connection between your devices and the devices connected to the hotspot. The impact on speed will depend on the number of devices connected and the strength of your internet connection.

4. How many devices can connect to the WiFi hotspot created by Connectify?

The number of devices that can connect to the WiFi hotspot created by Connectify will depend on the version of the software you are using. The free version allows a maximum of 3 devices to connect, while the paid versions can support more devices.

5. Is it safe to use Connectify to create a WiFi hotspot on my desktop PC?

Yes, it is safe to use Connectify to turn your desktop PC into a WiFi hotspot. Connectify uses WPA2-PSK encryption to secure your network and password protection to prevent unauthorized access. However, it is always important to use a strong and unique password to further enhance security.