Problem with supremum and infimum examples

• Thread starter thecaptain90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Supremum
In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the supremum and infimum of sets A and B using sign diagrams and computation. The professor's solution for set A was A = (-∞, a) ∪ (b, c), with infA = -∞ and supA = c. The conversation also addresses a potential error in the professor's solution for set B, which should be B = {0, 2} instead of B = {0, 1}.
thecaptain90
So I've got a calculus test in a week, and I'm studying for it but I can't understand some examples our professor has given us. So, he says:

1) A = { x[itex]\in[/itex] ℝ: (x-a)(x-b)(x-c) < 0 } , a<b<c. Find the supA and infA.

In the solution of his example he says. It is easy to see that A = (-∞,a)[itex]\cup[/itex](b,c) so infA = -∞ and supA = c. How did he find that A = (-∞,a)[itex]\cup[/itex](b,c) ?

2) B = {1 +(-1)n:n[itex]\in[/itex] N}. Find the supB and infB.

In the solution he says. Obviously B={0,1} which we can compute if we make n=2k (even) and n=2k+1 (odd)
so infB=0 and supB=1. So if n=2k wouldn't B be 2? Is this a mistake my professor made?

Physics news on Phys.org
thecaptain90 said:
So I've got a calculus test in a week, and I'm studying for it but I can't understand some examples our professor has given us. So, he says:

1) A = { x[itex]\in[/itex] ℝ: (x-a)(x-b)(x-c) < 0 } , a<b<c. Find the supA and infA.

In the solution of his example he says. It is easy to see that A = (-∞,a)[itex]\cup[/itex](b,c) so infA = -∞ and supA = c. How did he find that A = (-∞,a)[itex]\cup[/itex](b,c) ?

The easiest way to solve this is by making a sign diagram (or whatever you call it).
Let me find out when (x-a)(x-b)<0.

If x<a, then x-a<0. If x>a, then x-a>0. If x<b, then x-b<0, If x>b, then x-b>0. So putting these in a diagram yields

------------------ a +++++++++++++++++++++++
-------------------------- b +++++++++++++++++

Multiplying the two gives us

++++++++++++++ a ------ b +++++++++++++++++

So we see that the function is negative between a and b. So A=(a,b) here.

Now try to find it for three terms.

2) B = {1 +(-1)n:n[itex]\in[/itex] N}. Find the supB and infB.

In the solution he says. Obviously B={0,1} which we can compute if we make n=2k (even) and n=2k+1 (odd)
so infB=0 and supB=1. So if n=2k wouldn't B be 2? Is this a mistake my professor made?

Yes, it needs to be B={0,2}

Likes 1 person
Thanks for clearing these things up.

What is the definition of supremum and infimum?

Supremum and infimum are terms used in mathematical analysis to describe the upper and lower bounds of a set of numbers or a function. The supremum is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the numbers in the set, while the infimum is the largest number that is less than or equal to all the numbers in the set.

How are supremum and infimum used in real-world applications?

Supremum and infimum are commonly used in economics, finance, and optimization problems to find the best possible solution. In economics, they can be used to determine the maximum and minimum prices for a certain product, while in finance, they can help identify the most profitable investments. In optimization problems, supremum and infimum can be used to find the optimal solution to a given problem.

Can supremum and infimum exist for an unbounded set?

No, supremum and infimum can only exist for bounded sets, which means that the set has both an upper and lower limit. If a set is unbounded, it does not have a finite supremum or infimum.

How are supremum and infimum related to limits?

The supremum and infimum of a set are closely related to the limit of a function. In fact, the supremum is the limit of the function as the input approaches the upper bound of the set, while the infimum is the limit as the input approaches the lower bound of the set.

What is the difference between supremum and maximum?

The supremum is the smallest upper bound of a set, while the maximum is the largest element in the set. If the maximum exists, it is also the supremum, but not all sets have a maximum. Additionally, the supremum can be a limit point of the set, while the maximum must be an actual element of the set.