Problem with this question(lenear algebra)

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
As for finding the polynomial g(y), you can use the same process as in B to find the basis for Im(T).
transgalactic
in A i am asked to find the matrix of T

in B i need to find ker T and I am T

in C i need to find polinomial g(y) so T(y)=y+2

i tried to solve each one and i got problematic points

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/5331/unt.th.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A) Your solution looks correct.

B) You found correctly that Ker(T) consists of vectors of the form (x,0,0,0). This can can be written as Ker(T)=span{(1,0,0,0)}.
Regarding the image of T: Your solution is correct, but one can also find a simpler basis consisting of standard basis vectors.

C) Look at the system of linear equations you extracted from the matrix equation, there is a small error. Also, since T has a one-dimensional kernel there will be infinitely many solutions.

regarding B i get 0*x=0
on what basis i can state that its
(x,0,0,0)
??

where is the error in C
??

transgalactic said:
regarding B i get 0*x=0
on what basis i can state that its
(x,0,0,0)
??

Well, you are trying to find all possible values of x,y,z,t so that T((x,y,z,t))=0. You found that this means that 0=x*0, y=0, z=0, t=0. So x can be any number (0=x*0 is true for all x) and y,z,t have to be zero. So the solutions of the equation T((x,y,z,t))=0 are exactly the vectors of the form (x,0,0,0), where x is any number.

where is the error in C
??

The first equation, x+2y=2, should be y+2z=2.

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces and linear transformations.

2. How is linear algebra used in science?

Linear algebra is used to represent and solve systems of equations, analyze data, and model real-world phenomena in fields such as physics, computer science, and economics.

3. What are the common problems encountered in linear algebra?

Some common problems in linear algebra include finding solutions to systems of equations, determining linear independence of vectors, and finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

4. How can I improve my understanding of linear algebra?

Practicing problems and working through examples is key to improving your understanding of linear algebra. It is also helpful to understand the underlying concepts and connections between different topics in linear algebra.

5. Can linear algebra be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, linear algebra can be applied to solve many real-world problems, such as optimizing resources, predicting trends, and analyzing large datasets.