Problems about eigenvector in quantum mechanics

In summary, an operator can be represented by a matrix or a vector depending on the base set used. When you change the basis, the matrix representation changes, but the eigenvector remains the same.
wowowo2006
I am learning about the basic quantum mechanics
I know that an operator ,call it M^, is generally a matrix
And we also can be represent it b a matrix representation M, associated with certain basis |e>

M^ = sigma ( Mij |e> <e|)
I,j
Where Mij is matrix element of M

So now I wonder which matrix should I use, M^ or M
To find the eigenvector?

Physics news on Phys.org
An operator [itex] \hat M [/itex] is an object that takes a vector and gives another vector. It is not a matrix but it has a matrix representation which depends on the base set used. If the base set is [itex] \{|n\rangle\}_{n=0}^{\infty} [/itex], the matrix elements of [itex] \hat M [/itex] in this basis are [itex] M_{mn}=\langle m | \hat M | n \rangle [/itex]. This is the only matrix associated to [itex] \hat M [/itex](up to change of basis, of course).

Shyan said:
An operator [itex] \hat M [/itex] is an object that takes a vector and gives another vector. It is not a matrix but it has a matrix representation which depends on the base set used. If the base set is [itex] \{|n\rangle\}_{n=0}^{\infty} [/itex], the matrix elements of [itex] \hat M [/itex] in this basis are [itex] M_{mn}=\langle m | \hat M | n \rangle [/itex]. This is the only matrix associated to [itex] \hat M [/itex](up to change of basis, of course).
So that means,
When I change the basis, the matrix representation change
So do the eigenvector changes too?

wowowo2006 said:
So that means,
When I change the basis, the matrix representation change
So do the eigenvector changes too?

I see what's your problem.
You should be able to distinguish between abstract mathematical constructs and their representations. The operators and vectors are entities independent of their representations. They don't change when you change basis, its just that their components w.r.t. different bases are different. Its like vectors in Euclidean space. They are the same no matter you use a particular set i,j,k or another set rotated w.r.t. to the first one. The vector is the same, only the component changes to comply with the change of basis.
So no, eigenvectors do not change, they only have different components w.r.t. to different bases.

Let's clarify this issue a bit. You have a linear operator on Hilbert space (usually defined on a dense subset). This we denote with [itex]\hat{A}[/itex]. Then you can choose any representation you like by taking a complete orthonormal set [itex]|u_{j} \rangle[/itex] of vectors, fulfilling
[tex]\langle u_j | u_k \rangle=\delta_{jk}, \quad \sum_{j} |u_j \rangle \langle u_j|=\hat{1}.[/tex]
Now you can represent the operator in terms of its matrix elements with respect to this basis,
[tex]A_{jk}=\langle u_j |\hat{A} u_k \rangle.[/tex]
You get back the operator by inserting two identity operators in terms of the completeness relation for the basis,
[tex]\hat{A}=\sum_{j,k} |u_j \rangle \langle j|\hat{M} u_k \rangle \langle u_k |=\sum_{jk} M_{jk} |u_j \rangle \langle u_k|.[/tex]
I hope, now at least the formalities are a bit more clear.

1. What is an eigenvector in quantum mechanics?

An eigenvector in quantum mechanics is a vector that represents the state of a quantum mechanical system. It is a special vector that remains unchanged, except for a possible scaling factor, when acted upon by a linear operator. In quantum mechanics, these eigenvectors are used to represent the possible states of a system.

2. How are eigenvectors used in quantum mechanics?

Eigenvectors are used in quantum mechanics to represent the possible states of a quantum mechanical system. They are also used to solve the Schrödinger equation, which describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. By finding the eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of a system, we can determine the possible energy states of the system.

3. What is the significance of eigenvectors in quantum mechanics?

The significance of eigenvectors in quantum mechanics lies in their ability to represent the possible states of a system. By finding the eigenvectors of a system's Hamiltonian operator, we can determine the energy states of the system and how they may evolve over time. This allows us to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of quantum systems.

4. Can eigenvectors have complex values in quantum mechanics?

Yes, eigenvectors in quantum mechanics can have complex values. In fact, many quantum systems have complex eigenvectors, which represent the states of the system in a multi-dimensional space. These complex eigenvectors play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of quantum systems and making accurate predictions.

5. How are eigenvectors related to observables in quantum mechanics?

Eigenvectors and observables in quantum mechanics are closely related. In quantum mechanics, observables are represented by operators, and the eigenvectors of these operators are the possible states of the system. The eigenvalues of these eigenvectors correspond to the possible outcomes of a measurement of the observable. This relationship allows us to use eigenvectors to make predictions about the behavior and measurements of quantum systems.