1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems with a 3 year undergrad degree

1. Apr 18, 2009 #1
    hi,
    I am an undergrad student in india doing my second year(physics) at the chennai mathematical institute.
    I have done a few courses in General Relativity and Cosmology and am doing projects during this summer. I understand that most US universities are not willing to take 3 year undergrads for a phd.
    Although am not too sure about what I am going to work on, Its somewhere in gravity or cosmology or maybe string but definitely not stat mechanics or CMP.
    My GPA is not all that great (but am placed first in my university) but its largely due to my university's grading system.

Could someone suggest to me what places I should apply to(highly restricted because i am a three year undergrad)?
    a)in the US/Canada
    b)in Europe

sorry for the long post :(

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2009 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi harikrishnan,

I know a guy in the same year as you at CMI (Prathyush Manchala), you know him? Anyway, you could apply to one of the masters programs in England, like the 1 year MSc "Quantum Fields and Fundamental Forces" at Imperial, or the 1 year "Certificate for Advanced Study in Mathematics" at Cambridge. These are essentially equivalent to the fourth year of an undergrad degree, and will prepare you for a PhD.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook