Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems with posting, Firefox

1. Dec 31, 2014 #1
    If anyone can help or direct me to where this has been answered I would appreciate it. I've had problems since the new website came online. Win7 Pro running Firefox, all current. All of the buttons (are they called radio buttons or something else?) are just silhouettes and I have to scroll over them to figure out what they are. It happens all over the website, not just when posting. I also can't quote another post in my reply. I don't want to use a different browser. Do I need some special fonts or is there some other trick? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I also use FireFox (34.0.05) under Win 7 Pro (6.1 SP1), all current, and have no problems. I suspect the issue is not with this forum but with something in your system configuration. Do you get at all other web sites OK?

4. Dec 31, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I figured it out, it was a font problem. I had to allow the website to choose its own font instead of using the default preferences.

5. Dec 31, 2014 #4
    Of course, now all my other websites look different.

6. Dec 31, 2014 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Don't know why they should, but I'm not sure just what you mean. I go to a LOT of web sites and have no issues. Some of them set their own font types most don't.

7. Dec 31, 2014 #6
    Oh, by default Firefox chooses a set of fonts for display (it did for me). Regardless of the font used on the website, Firefox will default to your chosen fonts. The problem occurs when a character displayed by the website does not exist in your font set. Apparently, websites that I frequent have been converted to my default fonts (that's why they all look so similar). Now that I have allowed websites to choose their own font many of them look different. If you're curious, go to menu>options>content>fonts>advanced. Deselect "allow pages to choose" and see what happens.

8. Dec 31, 2014 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ah, I see. I already had it at "allow sites ..."

9. Dec 31, 2014 #8

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Anybody else having a recently acquired quirk:

When i "preview" a reply that's more than about 3 inches tall i cannot scroll down to see the bottom part of it.

And i can't put a multiquote from a thread into a conversation(under 'inbox') about that thread....

and those pesky dropdown butons at top continually pop down covering what i'm doing - can they be set to require maybe a half second hold before they appear , or to disappear after a few seconds??

i'm just grumpy today.....

10. Dec 31, 2014 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Jim, this is a persistent problem that I reported almost as soon as PF 4.0 went live and it has never been fixed. Damned things can be nearly impossible to get rid of but they DO eventually go away if you click on enough stuff and cuss loudly enough. This I know from considerable experience.

11. Dec 31, 2014 #10

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thanks ---- it's not just me ???

12. Dec 31, 2014 #11

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey Jim. This is the reasoning from The Man.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/have-a-problem-read-this-first.771872/page-5#post-4859564
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/have-a-problem-read-this-first.771872/page-9#post-4869526

There is a way but I can't remember or find the post Greg made about this.

13. Jan 1, 2015 #12

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thanks don

guess i'm just awkward

seems every time i swipe the doggone touchpad it opens one of those menus. Not so bad with the mouse.

[grumpy old man icon]

14. Jan 1, 2015 #13

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm with you on this. I think Greg may have a delay built in(?). I guess we need to realize that the young folks' hands are much faster than ours and have more experience using these methods. Change IS hard as I've come to learn. :oldfrown:

BTW When some of my computer illiterate friends ask for help, I always refuse unless they provide a mouse.

15. Jan 1, 2015 #14

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hey Don - did he tweak the trigger-pull for those drop-downs ?

seems to be much better this morning

but that's my subjective "feel" how's yours doing ?

if so ---- THANKS GREG!!!

16. Jan 1, 2015 #15

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe a few milliseconds, but that may be a subjective empathy feeling. I think Greg is still on vacation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook