Processing of Tin Can you help find some micrigraphs?

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Processing
In summary, the conversation is about someone needing to find micrographs of tin samples that have been processed in different ways for a project. They have found images for some processes, but are having trouble finding images for others. Suggestions are made to search for specific terms related to the processes and tin, but it may be difficult to find these images in the public domain.
Saladsamurai
For a project I am working on, I need to find some micrographs of tin samples that have been processed in different manners so that I can compare and contrast the resulting microstructures.

I need to find tin (preferably pure) that has been processed by:

1. Powder metallurgy

2. Drawing

3. Extrusion

4. Rolling

5. Casting

I have found some images for 4 and 5, but 1-3 are proving difficult.

Does anyone have any good sources they would use?

thanks,
Casey

Engineering news on Phys.org
Any chance of getting any help on this one? This is not going so well.

I think that perhaps it will be difficult to find micrographs or metallographs of tin with those specific processing in the public domain. They would probably be found in journal articles relating to the specific microstructures.

One could use google to search for "metallograph" or "micrograph" with "tin","Sn" with terms like "cast","drawn", . . . .

Perhaps one can search for "microstructure","tin","{process}", where {process}=cast, drawn, powder or powder metallurgy or sintered.

What is the processing method for tin can recycling?

The processing method for tin can recycling involves several steps. First, the cans are collected and sorted based on material. Then, they are cleaned and shredded into small pieces. Next, the tin pieces are melted down in a furnace and formed into ingots. These ingots are then rolled into thin sheets and cut into the desired size for new cans. Finally, the cans are printed with labels and filled with products before being shipped out for use.

What are the environmental benefits of tin can recycling?

Tin can recycling has several environmental benefits. By recycling tin cans, we reduce the amount of waste that ends up in landfills, which can take hundreds of years to decompose. Additionally, recycling tin cans requires less energy and resources than producing new cans from raw materials, leading to a decrease in greenhouse gas emissions. Moreover, recycling tin cans also conserves natural resources and reduces pollution.

How can I tell if a can is made of tin or aluminum?

One way to tell if a can is made of tin or aluminum is by using a magnet. Tin is not magnetic, so if a magnet does not stick to the can, it is most likely made of tin. Another way is by looking at the color and texture of the can. Tin cans have a dull gray color and a rougher texture compared to aluminum cans, which have a shiny and smooth surface.

What is the difference between recycling tin cans and aluminum cans?

The main difference between recycling tin cans and aluminum cans is the type of metal used. Tin cans are made of tin-plated steel, while aluminum cans are made of aluminum. This means the recycling process for each type of can will be slightly different, with tin cans requiring more energy and resources to melt down and recycle compared to aluminum cans. Additionally, the end products of each type of recycling may also differ in their properties and uses.

Are there any limitations to tin can recycling?

While tin can recycling is a great way to reduce waste and conserve resources, there are some limitations to the process. One limitation is that not all types of tin cans can be recycled, such as those with plastic or paper coatings. Additionally, the quality of the recycled tin may not be as high as that of new tin, which can limit its use in certain industries. Moreover, the infrastructure for tin can recycling may not be available in all areas, making it difficult for some communities to recycle their tin cans.