1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Product Measures, Fubini's Theorem

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let f be Lebesgue integrable on [0,a], and define g(x) = ∫(1/t)f(t)dt , lower integrand limit = x, upper integrand limit = a. Prove that g is integrable on [0,a], and that ∫f(x)dx = ∫g(x)dx .

2. Relevant equations

In the previous problem, I showed that if if f and g are measurable functions on σ-finite measure spaces (X,A,μ), (Y,B,[itex]\nu[/itex]), and h(x,y) = f(x)g(y), then h is measurable. Also, if f ε L1(μ) and g ε L1([itex]\nu[/itex]), then h ε L1(μx[itex]\nu[/itex]) and ∫hd(μx[itex]\nu[/itex]) = ∫fdμ ∫gd[itex]\nu[/itex].
    I think that I'm supposed to use these facts to solve this problem, but after multiple dead ends I'm really not sure how.

Oh, and I'm sure that Fubini's Theorem (∫hd(μx[itex]\nu[/itex]) = ∫[∫hd[itex]\nu[/itex]]dμ = ∫[∫hdμ]d[itex]\nu[/itex] will be used as well.

3. The attempt at a solution

Any help would be much appreciated : )

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2011 #2
    Never mind, I think I've got it. Since I want to solve the integral ∫g(x)dx from x=0 to x=a = ∫∫(1/t)f(t)dtdx, inner integral from t=x to t=a, outer integral from x=0 to x=a,
    the function is bounded by the curves t=x, t=a, x=0, and x=a. Another way of writing this is that the function is bounded by the curves t=0, t=a, x=0, and x=t.

Thus, by Fubini's theorem, I can rewrite the integral as ∫∫(1/t)f(t)dtdx, inner integral from t=x to t=a, outer integral from x=0 to x=a as ∫∫(1/t)f(t)dxdt, inner integral from x=0 to x=t, outer integral from t=0 to t=a. Then it becomes ∫(1/t)f(t)*tdt from t=0 to t=a
    = ∫f(t)dt from t=0 to t=a = ∫f(x)dx from x=0 to x=a.

So ∫g(x)dx from x=0 to x=a = ∫f(x)dx from x=0 to x=a.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook