1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Product of a Derivative and its Inverse

1. Oct 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For the functions:

x = r*cos(θ)
    y = r*sin(θ)

Calculate dθ/dX * dX/dθ (considering θ as a function of x, y) and simplify.

3. The attempt at a solution

I believe this should always be 1, by definition (as the product of a derivative and its inverse). However, I don't know how to show this.

Solving the first function for θ, I get cos-1(x/r). The derivative of this is a relatively messy expression 1 over the product of r and a square root, and its being multiplied by something relatively simple (-r*sin(θ)). Why is it that this would simplify to 1?

I get that the negatives and the r's will cancel. So it simplifies to:

sin(θ) / √(1 - x2/r2)

But I can't get any further nor am I satisfied that this expression is or is not equal to 1. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use that x/r=cos(theta). What does that make 1-(x/r)^2?

4. Oct 10, 2011 #3
    That's so clever, thank you. Substituting for x and squaring the top and bottom, we get sin2/1-cos2 which is just sin2/sin2.

5. Oct 11, 2011 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

When you write fractional expressions in a line, and there are multiple terms in the top or bottom, USE PARENTHESES!

What you wrote would be reasonably interpreted as
    [tex]\frac{sin^2(x)}{1} -cos^2(x)[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook