Program calculating bounces of a particle off circles.

Homework Statement

Okay. So my goal is to bounce a particle off of 3 circles with centers at the vertices of an equilateral triangle. The side length of each side of the triangle is 6 units and the radius of the circles are 1 unit. I am shooting a particle from anywhere at any angle with unit speed. The particle needs to bounce around in the system of circles and eventually escape. I have written a computer program to model this behavior. I am NOT allowed to shoot it in a manner that creates an infinite number of bounces.

Homework Equations

Does anyone have a hunch as to what starting location and starting angle i should use to get the highest number of hits?

The Attempt at a Solution

The most i can get is three. and this was done using random numbers in the computer.

Answers and Replies

If there actually exists an analytic way to get an infinite number of bounces, I would suspect that you can also achieve any arbitrarily high number of bounces depending on your machine accuracy.

I.e. If some trajectory yields an infinite number of bounces, then a tiny perturbation from that trajectory should yield a very large number of bounces, and progressively smaller perturbations will yield arbitrarily high numbers of bounces.

Borek
Mentor
I am with zhermes here - start with shot that should generate infinite bounces, modify the angle by any amount - the smaller the better.