Relating quadratic graphs & bouncing movement

In summary, the homework statement discusses how to solve a quadratic equation for a curve in a graph. The equation is automatically solved by the Logger Pro program, and the coefficients of the equation are found by fitting the data to a quadratic equation. The author has attached a picture of a graph and four equations to illustrate their point. The author is having difficulty understanding why the coefficients of the equation are changing over time, and is asking for help.
Valerie Prowse

Homework Statement

Hi everyone,
I am doing a lab currently (and it looks like a few other people on here have had similar questions...) and I'm having trouble with one of the concepts. I had to drop a ball from a height and measure the movement with a motion sensor, which was graphed with the Logger Pro program. I had to create a quadratic equation for a few of the curves created in the graph, which the program does automatically. I have attached a picture (hopefully it is clear enough) of the resulting graph and the quadratic equations for 4 of the curves.

Homework Equations

Ax^2 + Bx + C
y = yo + vo(t) - 1/2 g(t)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part of the question is:
"Write a clear interpretation of the meaning of each parameter in this equation."
Which I understand well enough. I do understand how the quadratic equation relates to the kinematic equation y = yo + vo(t) - 1/2 g(t)^2.
A = 0.5g
B = vo
C = yo

What I'm having problems with is the following part:
"From the fit results of each interval, you should notice that the B (parameter) increases as the ball makes a new bounce. If B is interpreted as the initial velocity of the ball for the corresponding bounce, this seems to contradict the observed loss of mechanical energy after each bounce. Provide an explanation of this apparent discrepancy."

I don't understand why, for example in the first interval, B = 15.31, and C = -11.85, yet A seems fairly close to the actual value of 0.5g. Furthermore, I don't understand why B and C are in fact getting larger in the later intervals when C should be 0 (if it really is y0) and B should be getting smaller because the ball, in real life, is losing energy. I think I may have worked out from other posts on here that B and C are not the actual v0 and y0 values (although still not too sure why), but I think I may have worked out how to find them. For example, for the first interval, the bounce actually begins at t = 1.25 and the max height (y = 0.742) is reached at t = 1.65 (this is in the table on the left), so I worked out that, for the bounce to actually begin at t = 0, then max height is reached at t = 0.4, so (t' = t-t0) and y0 = 0:

y = y0 + v0(t) - 1/2g(t)^2
v0 = (y + 1/2g(t)^2 ) / t
v0 = 3.71

Does this make sense? If so, why does the graph tell me that B (or v0) = 15.31? What is the significance of this number? The only thing that I can think of is that y0 = -11.85, literally... so the intercept occurs at y = -11.85 (which obviously is impossible since the ground is at 0m but maybe the computer doesn't know that?) and at this negative intercept
Fig 3.png
, the velocity is 15.31, even though this isn't the actual moment the interval begins. Can anyone confirm/deny/correct/comment on this?

Any help is appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you just consider the function y(t) = At2 + Bt + C, then, in terms of its graph, A and B have a relationship to the location of the vertex of the parabola, and C has a relationship to the intercept with the y-axis (see here). Does that show you why B must increase and C decrease?

I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure if I understand... From the link you sent:

"The coefficient b alone is the declivity of the parabola as y-axis intercepts.
The coefficient c controls the height of the parabola, more specifically, it is the point where the parabola intercept the y-axis."

So, does this mean that, in the quadratic equation, C is increasingly negative because the graphs are shifting away from the y-axis over time? I'm not sure why B is increasingly positive, though.

Think of the parabola for the second bounce as being just part of a longer parabola that started at t=0. What would that correspond to in terms of the throwing of the ball?

Likes Nathanael and Valerie Prowse
Valerie Prowse said:
So, does this mean that, in the quadratic equation, C is increasingly negative because the graphs are shifting away from the y-axis over time?
Exactly. If you imagine extending the limits of the y-axis in the graph, so you also see the intercept of the parabola with the y-axis, then, if the parabola has the same "shape", translating it "to the right" would have to lower the intercept point.

Valerie Prowse said:
I'm not sure why B is increasingly positive, though.
If the ##t##-coordinate of the vertex of the parabola is given by ##t = -\frac{B}{2A}##, and ##A## is a negative constant, then what does that tell you about ##B## as ##t## increases?

Likes Valerie Prowse
milesyoung said:
If the ##t##-coordinate of the vertex of the parabola is given by ##t = -\frac{B}{2A}##, and ##A## is a negative constant, then what does that tell you about ##B## as ##t## increases?

I suppose it would mean that B = t*(2A), so it increases by quite a bit
So, just to understand the context:
a7a7b7b2fda741b65e73c3e189fe954f.png

These refer to coordinates of the vertex/max height of the parabola, so the coordinate for x (which happens to be time in my graph) is -b/2a and y (which is height in m) could be found with -(delta)/4a? (Not that the question is asking for that in particular, but just so that I make sure I am understanding properly :]).

So, C is referring to an intercept along the y-axis, but since the graph is moving further away from the y-axis (as t increases), C becomes increasingly negative because the intercept is further down.

And B becomes increasingly larger because it refers to a the point along the x-axis associated with the highest point in the parabola, and as t increases, this value increases as well (even though the parabola is getting smaller over time).

Am I getting it?
(PS thank you everyone for your help!)

Valerie Prowse said:
I suppose it would mean that B = t*(2A), so it increases by quite a bit
B = -2At, but yes.

Valerie Prowse said:
These refer to coordinates of the vertex/max height of the parabola, so the coordinate for x (which happens to be time in my graph) is -b/2a and y (which is height in m) could be found with -(delta)/4a?
Yes, but 'max height of the parabola' is probably not a good description, since you'd usually associate that with a certain shape of the graph. The parabola could open upwards instead, for instance. It's the coordinates for its vertex.

Valerie Prowse said:
And B becomes increasingly larger because it refers to a the point along the x-axis associated with the highest point in the parabola, and as t increases, this value increases as well (even though the parabola is getting smaller over time).
This might be a bit nitpicky, but I'd just state B's relationship to the location of the vertex of the parabola. 'highest point in the parabola' and 'parabola is getting smaller over time' is ambiguous. It's clear that you get it, though.

Likes Valerie Prowse
Awesome, thank you so much for your help! :smile::smile:

1. What is a quadratic graph?

A quadratic graph is a U-shaped curve that represents a quadratic function. It is a type of polynomial function with a degree of 2 and can be written in the form of y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants.

2. How is bouncing movement related to quadratic graphs?

Bouncing movement is related to quadratic graphs because it follows a parabolic path, similar to the shape of a quadratic graph. This is because the force of gravity acting on an object as it bounces is a quadratic function of time.

3. What are the key features of a quadratic graph?

The key features of a quadratic graph include the vertex, which is the highest or lowest point on the graph, the axis of symmetry, which divides the graph into two equal halves, and the x-intercepts, which are the points where the graph intersects the x-axis.

4. How can we use quadratic graphs to analyze bouncing movement?

By plotting the height of an object over time on a quadratic graph, we can analyze the movement of the object as it bounces. The vertex of the graph represents the maximum height reached by the object, and the x-intercepts represent the times when the object is on the ground.

5. What is the equation for a quadratic function that represents bouncing movement?

The equation for a quadratic function representing bouncing movement is h(t) = -16t^2 + vt + h, where h(t) is the height of the object at time t, v is the initial velocity of the object, and h is the initial height of the object. This equation takes into account the acceleration due to gravity (-16t^2) and the initial conditions of the object (v and h).