Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programming on different platforms

1. Sep 29, 2009 #1
    When I first started programming, I used a text editor & the command line to compile & run my programs. However, then I switched to the Eclipse IDE, and I've been using that ever since (I also used Visual Studio when I took a C++ class). As you can see, my exposure to different development environments is pretty limited. I don't really understand why some people prefer to program on Linux than Windows, for example. To me, since Eclipse is what I mainly use, it seems that Eclipse would probably run just as quickly on Linux as it does on Windows. However, I think this may be because I've only written small student programs as opposed to large systems.

Could someone explain to me the pros & cons of developing on different platforms?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2009 #2

DavidSnider

Gold Member

Linux has a huge tool set of programming related tools that easily installed with the various package managers. You can get the same tools for windows, but it's kind of awkward to use.

Also, Linux seems to use memory much more efficiently.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook