Progressively harder Django challenges

• Python
  • Thread starter Avatrin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    python
In summary, Django challenges become increasingly difficult as you progress through them, testing your skills and knowledge of the framework. These challenges often involve building complex web applications and require a strong understanding of Django's features and functionality. They serve as a great way to improve your skills and become a proficient Django developer.
Avatrin
Hi

I am trying to improve my resume by making websites using Django (I own two websites). However, I am not sure how to get started. I just want to create something that makes me more employable.

I have used Python in mathematics and physics. I am going through the Codeacademy courses on HTML and CSS. Django, I have no experience with.

Now I am just looking for ideas on what I can make to show some level of proficiency with Django.

Even better, if there's a list of progressively harder projects that allows me to build my skills, I'd love that.

Technology news on Phys.org
Avatrin said:
Hi

I am trying to improve my resume by making websites using Django (I own two websites). However, I am not sure how to get started. I just want to create something that makes me more employable.

I have used Python in mathematics and physics. I am going through the Codeacademy courses on HTML and CSS. Django, I have no experience with.

Now I am just looking for ideas on what I can make to show some level of proficiency with Django.

Even better, if there's a list of progressively harder projects that allows me to build my skills, I'd love that.

It's not clear to me what do you mean by "more employable". What is your main field of study? Do you want to get involved in web development or just be a power user of Django framework/CMS and create some websites?

My main field of study is applied mathematics. I also studied marketing for a while (and worked in telemarketing while studying).

I want to get involved in web development. The reason is that I am sick of telemarketing, and I need a job if I am to get through my masters (which I intend to do part time). Also, I hope to be able to use machine learning and other mathematics while developing websites, and thus get relevant work experience for what I intend to do when I get my masters degree in applied mathematics.

I wrote the post above to make it easier for me to learn Django so that I can do this. The reason is that several companies in the city I live are looking for Django developers, and they are not super picky in regards to experience. However, I guess competition in the job market is fierce. So, I want to have a few websites up and running to show that I can do the job.

Avatrin said:
I want to get involved in web development. The reason is that I am sick of telemarketing, and I need a job if I am to get through my masters (which I intend to do part time).

So, I'll talk to you as a web developer myself. If you really like web development - apart from being a way just to get a job, then learning the basics very well is the way to go. Learning HTML(5) and CSS(3) to a decent level is the right thing - as I see you already doing this. Use also some textbooks because the details matter. Also, learn (at least) the fundamentals of JavaScript - I recommend way more, and then get into the server world - you can use Python but learning other server side scripting languages is also a must. The competition in web development in general - this applies virtually everywhere anyway, is not only fierce but a real race against time. Also learning about protocols - especially HTTP, the request - response cycle and software patterns for the web as (at least) some pretty basic database things (SQL and NoSQL), is also a must. I won't recommend just learning to use some software to do the job for you - whatever this could be, in order "just to do the job", as is usually spoken by some people, the reason being that you'll sooner or later face difficulties in tuning up, modifying, altering and all these good things, that a web developer has to do in his everyday routine. You'll have to resort almost solely on the opinion of others in order to do your job and this is definitely not a good thing.

Now, for Django itself, I have not a long experience - being mostly a PHP/Java developer, but I think that starting from a good textbook like https://www.amazon.com/dp/143021936X/?tag=pfamazon01-20 - there are many other good choices as well, and tinkering with Django code on GitHub - you'll find plenty of projects there for applications as for Django framework code itself, is a good way to go. Also, googling "django projects" gives you a lot of results and you can get a pretty good idea by some articles regarding projects you can get involved in.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are some examples of progressively harder Django challenges?

Examples of progressively harder Django challenges may include building a simple blog or e-commerce website using Django, implementing user authentication and authorization, creating advanced search functionality, and integrating third-party APIs into a Django project.

2. How can I prepare for progressively harder Django challenges?

To prepare for progressively harder Django challenges, it is important to have a strong understanding of the basics of Django, including models, views, and templates. It is also helpful to practice building smaller projects and gradually work your way up to more complex challenges.

3. Are there any resources available for learning progressively harder Django challenges?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning progressively harder Django challenges. These may include online tutorials, documentation, and community forums where you can ask for help and guidance from experienced developers.

4. How can I overcome challenges while working on progressively harder Django challenges?

One way to overcome challenges while working on progressively harder Django challenges is to break the project down into smaller tasks and tackle them one at a time. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from more experienced developers and to constantly refer to documentation and other resources.

5. Can I use Django for more than just web development?

Yes, Django can be used for more than just web development. It can also be used for building APIs, data analysis, and even machine learning projects. Its versatility and scalability make it a popular choice among developers for a wide range of applications.