Projectile and forces formulae question

In summary: Using the vx = uy + gt term and the known value for g, you find that ux = (60.0/1.75) + 9.81 = 34.3 ms^-1.
Kurokari

Homework Statement

A motorcycle stuntman who is moving horizontally takes off from a point 15.0m above the ground and lands 60.0m

Calculate
a. Time between taking off and landing
b. the speed of the motorcycle at take-off

Homework Equations

s = ut + 1/2(at^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above equation and the information, s= 15m , initial velocity, u = 0 , a = g =9.81
the answer was 1.75s, which according to the book is correct.

My problem lies with the second part of it, it is asking me to look for the initial velocity which is at the point of taking off, but I just used u = 0.

The answer given is,

Consider horizontal motion, v = constant.

Horizontal distance = vt

v = 60.0/1.75 = 34.3ms^-1If anyone can help me solve this contradiction and explain it to me, it would really help me understand concept questions like these. Thanks in advance =)

Physics news on Phys.org
See, as the stuntman takes off horizontally, w.r.t the ground there isn't any initial velocity in the vertical direction, so analyzing the motion along that direction, its just like dropping a stone from a height of 15 m, so your equation to determine the time of motion gives you the correct answer.
But, since there isn't any force acting along the horizontal direction (neglecting air drag in an ideal situation), the velocity with which the stuntman takes off (i.e the horizontal velocity of the bike at the take off) will not change, and will be a constant till the landing. So you have to use the range then to calculate the velocity, and since you have calculated the time, using the vertical motion of the bike, you can put it in there to determine the velocity of take off, as suggested in the book!

Mandeep Deka said:
See, as the stuntman takes off horizontally, w.r.t the ground there isn't any initial velocity in the vertical direction, so analyzing the motion along that direction, its just like dropping a stone from a height of 15 m, so your equation to determine the time of motion gives you the correct answer.
But, since there isn't any force acting along the horizontal direction (neglecting air drag in an ideal situation), the velocity with which the stuntman takes off (i.e the horizontal velocity of the bike at the take off) will not change, and will be a constant till the landing. So you have to use the range then to calculate the velocity, and since you have calculated the time, using the vertical motion of the bike, you can put it in there to determine the velocity of take off, as suggested in the book!

So you're saying in the first part, we just ignore the horizontal component, and just using the concept, how much increase is in the vertical component varying with time but in actual fact, the bike is moving but only horizontally?

Kurokari said:
So you're saying in the first part, we just ignore the horizontal component, and just using the concept, how much increase is in the vertical component varying with time but in actual fact, the bike is moving but only horizontally?

The horizontal and vertical components of the motion are independent. Over the trajectory the motorcycle drops 15m vertically and travels 60.0m in the horizontal direction. You solved for the time of the "flight" by considering first only the motion in the vertical direction, governed by the uyt + (1/2)gt2 equation, in which the initial velocity uy in the vertical direction was zero.

With the time to landing calculated, you now must consider the motion in the horizontal direction. This is unaccelerated motion at constant velocity. So, choose an appropriate expression and find ux.

Hi there,

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of projectile motion and the forces involved. In this case, the motorcycle stuntman is experiencing both horizontal and vertical motion, and the forces acting on him are gravity and the normal force from the ground.

To calculate the time between take-off and landing, we can use the formula s = ut + 1/2(at^2), where s is the displacement (in this case, 60m), u is the initial velocity (which we will solve for), a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.81m/s^2), and t is the time. Rearranging this formula, we get t = √(2s/a) = √(2*60/9.81) = 1.75s.

Now, for the second part of the question, we need to find the initial velocity of the motorcycle at take-off. As you correctly stated, u = 0 since the motorcycle starts from rest. However, the answer given in the book takes into account the horizontal motion of the motorcycle. In this case, the horizontal distance traveled (60m) is equal to the velocity (v) multiplied by the time (1.75s). Therefore, v = 60/1.75 = 34.3 m/s.

To explain this further, we can use the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. In this case, we know that the final velocity (v) is equal to the initial velocity (u) since the motorcycle lands at the same speed as it takes off. We also know that the acceleration (a) is 0 since there are no horizontal forces acting on the motorcycle. Therefore, we can rearrange the formula to u = v - at. Since v = 34.3 m/s and t = 1.75s, we get u = 34.3 - 0 = 34.3 m/s, which is the same as the answer given in the book.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept better. Keep in mind that in physics, it is important to consider all the forces and motions involved in a problem, and to use the appropriate formulas to solve for the unknowns. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is thrown or launched into the air and is only affected by the forces of gravity and air resistance.

2. What is the formula for calculating the distance traveled by a projectile?

The formula for distance traveled by a projectile is d = v*t, where d is the distance, v is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

3. How do you calculate the height of a projectile at a specific time?

The formula for calculating the height of a projectile at a specific time is h = v*t*sin(theta) - (1/2)*g*t^2, where h is the height, v is the initial velocity, theta is the angle of launch, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

4. What is the relationship between initial velocity and angle of launch in projectile motion?

The initial velocity and angle of launch are directly related in projectile motion. As the angle of launch increases, the initial velocity also increases. However, at a certain angle (45 degrees), the initial velocity will yield the maximum range for the projectile.

5. Can you use the same formula for projectile motion on Earth and other planets?

No, the formula for projectile motion on Earth involves the acceleration due to gravity on Earth (9.8 m/s^2). On other planets, the acceleration due to gravity may be different, so the formula would need to be adjusted accordingly.