Projectile motion - ball in circular motion

In summary, the problem involves a ball in circular motion on a table (xy-plane, seen from above) with a snapped rope, causing it to continue with constant velocity in the x-direction and gravity working in the negative z-direction. The mass is 0.01kg, starting velocity in the x-direction is 0.5m/s and there is no starting velocity in the z-direction. The distance from where the ball snapped to the edge is 0.5m. The problem is to determine how long it takes for the ball to fall off the table if the table is turned in such a way that there is barely contact between the ball and the table without exerting force on it. The solution involves considering the ball as a
finitefemmet

Homework Statement

Okey, so the problem started with a ball in circular motion on a table (xy-plane, seen from above). Eventually the rope that held the ball snapped and the ball continued on (no friction/air resistance) with constant velocity in x-direction. Gravity working in negative z-direction, just too clarify.

Mass: 0.01kg
Starting velocity x-dir. : 0.5m/s (constant, from when the rope snapped)
Starting velocity z-dir : 0
Distance from were the ball snapped too the edge: 0.5m

Suppose you now turn the table in such a way that there always is ("barely") contact
between the ball and the table, but there is no force between them.

So my problem:

How long does it take before the ball falls off the table?

The situation starts when the rope snapped (time=0)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I have been really stuck on this. I have been trying to express the angle of the table, function of gravity. Also tried using pytagoras too express z-x in the motion equations. Since I know that the hypotenuse is 0.5m. Tried and failed a lot really.

If anyone have any suggestions or how I can express this, that would be appreciated.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
finitefemmet said:

Homework Statement

Okey, so the problem started with a ball in circular motion on a table (xy-plane, seen from above). Eventually the rope that held the ball snapped and the ball continued on (no friction/air resistance) with constant velocity in x-direction. Gravity working in negative z-direction, just too clarify.

Mass: 0.01kg
Starting velocity x-dir. : 0.5m/s (constant, from when the rope snapped)
Starting velocity z-dir : 0
Distance from were the ball snapped too the edge: 0.5m

Suppose you now turn the table in such a way that there always is ("barely") contact
between the ball and the table, but there is no force between them.

So my problem:

How long does it take before the ball falls off the table?

The situation starts when the rope snapped (time=0)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I have been really stuck on this. I have been trying to express the angle of the table, function of gravity. Also tried using pytagoras too express z-x in the motion equations. Since I know that the hypotenuse is 0.5m. Tried and failed a lot really.

If anyone have any suggestions or how I can express this, that would be appreciated.

Thank you

Suppose that at the point the string broke, the table magically disappeared. The ball would then travel as a projectile - following a parabolic path. That seems to indicate that unless the table surface is parabolic - there cannot be "such a way that there always is ("barely") contact between the ball and the table"

That is unless the table surface is vertical - in which case you need more than a string to have the ball traveling in a (now) vertical circle at constant speed.

The situation may be impossible - both to occur and also to analyse.

Yes well I have been trying too solve this without thinking about the table. But I was thinking of something, since I know that the hypotenuse is 0.5m. If you imagine a right-angled triangle, one side that illustrates the difference in height and the other traveled in x-direction.

But still I find this very hard to solve.

Hmm. If the table is (actively) tilted in such a fashion as to always be barely in contact with the projectile without exerting force on it, what might one say about the plane of the surface of the table with respect to the velocity vector of the projectile?

I have solved it;)

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object in a curved path due to the force of gravity. This type of motion is commonly seen in objects that are thrown, shot, or dropped from a height.

2. How does a ball move in circular motion?

A ball in circular motion moves in a circular path around a central point due to a combination of its forward velocity and the force of gravity pulling it towards the center. As the ball moves, it continuously changes direction and speed, resulting in a curved trajectory.

3. How does the angle of projection affect the ball's trajectory?

The angle of projection, also known as the launch angle, determines the initial direction of the ball's motion. A higher launch angle will result in a longer trajectory, while a lower launch angle will result in a shorter trajectory. The optimal launch angle for a projectile depends on factors such as the initial velocity and the force of gravity.

4. What factors affect the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is affected by its initial velocity, launch angle, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and the shape of the object can also impact the range.

5. How is the path of a projectile affected by different forces?

The path of a projectile is affected by the force of gravity, which pulls it towards the center of the circular motion. Other forces such as air resistance and friction can also affect the motion of the projectile, causing it to deviate from its predicted path.