Projectile motion cannon shell problem

In summary, the coastal defence cannon fires a shell horizontally from a 50.0m high cliff with a velocity of 60.0m/s. Using the equations for horizontal and vertical motion, the range of the shell's trajectory is determined to be 192m. Some students studying this area in Physics class have confirmed the calculation.
Zugox

Homework Statement

A coastal defence cannon fires a shell horizontally from the top of a 50.0m high cliff directed out to sea with a velocity of 60.0m/s.
Determine the range of the shell's trajectory.

Homework Equations

delta x = ut (horizontally)
delta y = ut + 1/2 at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

working vertically
50 = 0t + (1/2 * 9.8 * t^2)
t = 3.2

working horizontally
delta x = ut
delta x = 60 * 3.2
delta x = 192
therefore the range is 192m

I'm not too great with physics although really willing to learn and really interested in it :)
Can someone just confirm I'm right or put me on the right track

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't done the math but your work seems right, I'm studying this area in Physics class too :D

MysticDude said:
I haven't done the math but your work seems right, I'm studying this area in Physics class too :D

I'm 99% sure on the math, was just worried about the formulas I used:)

Well, since we are firing horizontally, [tex]\theta[/tex] = 0 meaning [tex]y-y_0 = \frac{-1}{2}gt^2[/tex] and you have that. Then you can just plug in for [tex]d=vt[/tex] and you should get 192m.

if I'm wrong?

Your solution is correct. The only thing to note is that the range of the shell's trajectory would be the distance from where it was fired to where it lands, which would be a bit more than 192m in this case. This is because the shell would also travel a distance of 50m vertically before landing, so the actual range would be 192m + 50m = 242m.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity, with no other forces acting upon it. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How is projectile motion related to a cannon shell problem?

The cannon shell problem is a specific example of projectile motion, where a cannonball is fired at an angle from a cannon and travels through the air until it lands on the ground. It follows the laws of projectile motion, including gravity, initial velocity, and angle of launch.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a cannon shell?

The trajectory of a cannon shell is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and wind can also have an impact on the trajectory.

4. How is the range of a cannon shell calculated?

The range of a cannon shell can be calculated using the equation R = (v^2 sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

5. Can the trajectory of a cannon shell be affected by changing the initial velocity or angle of launch?

Yes, changing the initial velocity or angle of launch can alter the trajectory of a cannon shell. Increasing the initial velocity or launching at a higher angle will result in a longer range, while decreasing the initial velocity or launching at a lower angle will result in a shorter range.