Projectile Motion Challenge Problem

In summary, Mr. Smith's dog Rosie takes a jump off a 1m high bed with a muzzle velocity of 5 m/s [40° above the horizontal]. After some time, Mr. Smith throws a treat to Rosie from 5m away with a muzzle velocity of 7 m/s [20° above the horizontal]. To catch the treat in mid-air on her way down, Rosie needs to wait 0.32 seconds and travel a vertical distance of 0.526m. Further calculations are needed to determine the exact timing and trajectory for Rosie to successfully catch the treat.
dvishnureddy
Mr. Smith’s dog Rosie takes a flying leap off his bed. The bed is 1m high, and Rosie leaves with a muzzle velocity of 5 m/s [40° above the horizontal].
Sometime after Rosie leaves the bed, Mr. Smith (who is 5m away from the bed) throws a doggie treat to Rosie from ground level with a muzzle velocity of 7 m/s [20° above the horizontal].
How many seconds does Mr. Smith need to wait after Rosie leaves the bed, to throw the treat such that Rosie catches the treat in mid-air on her way down?

First I tried to figure out final velocity & vertical distance for rosie ...which I got as 0.32s & 0.526m respectively.
But I am really not getting an idea about how to proceed further ...Please help me with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't figure anything out until you've figured out your gameplan.

What does it take for Rosie to catch the treat on her way down?

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, under the influence of gravity, after being launched at an angle.

How is projectile motion calculated?

Projectile motion is calculated using equations of motion, taking into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity.

What is the difference between horizontal and vertical components in projectile motion?

Horizontal and vertical components refer to the motion of the projectile in the x and y directions, respectively. The horizontal component remains constant throughout the motion, while the vertical component is affected by gravity.

Can projectile motion be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, projectile motion can be applied to real-life situations such as a baseball being thrown, a ball being kicked, or a rocket being launched.

How do air resistance and wind affect projectile motion?

Air resistance and wind can affect the trajectory and speed of a projectile. These factors can be taken into account by adjusting the initial velocity and angle of launch in the equations of motion.