1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion: find distance a ball would land

1. May 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to come up with an equation to determine where a ball would land (basically the distance it moves) from a spring loaded projectile launcher set up on a table. I'm looking for "d", and I know the spring constant, compression, mass of the ball, height the ball starts at, angle the launcher is set at, and whatever else I can measure using a meter stick, balance, and protractor. There aren't any numbers just known variables

2. Relevant equations
    Conservation of Energy eqn (at least the version I learned in class): Efinal-Eintial=Einput-Eoutput
    F=ma
    Fg=mg
    sinθ=voy/vo
    cosθ=vox/vo
    KE: 1/2mv2
    Spring: 1/2kx2
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I attempted to use conservation of energy but I get stuck trying to figure out where d goes in to be able to solve for it. Also, other online resources use a conservation of energy eqn that has different terms than what I was taught, but I'm assuming they are all the same.
    System: Ball and Earth
    Initial time: just after ball leaves launcher
    final time: just before ball hit ground
    Efinal=1/2mvf2
    Einitial= 1/2mvo2+1/2kx2+mgH
    Einput-Eoutput=0
    1/2mvf2-1/2mvo2-1/2kx2-mgH=0
    And then I'm stuck trying to figure out how the distance goes into this. I'm wondering whether I need to integrate the velocity with respect to time and relate that to the distance since the distance the ball travels is the velocity*time. Any help is appreciated!!

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi phys, :welcome:

Not bad for a first post. Yes, you need some projectile motion equation to complete this. From initial Einitial= 1/2mvo2+1/2kx2+mgH (where vo = 0 ?) you get v0. And your projectile trajectory is uniform motion horizontally (needing t) and uniformly accelerated vertically (which gives you a quadratic equation for t) .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted