1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion fountain question

1. May 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A fountain consists of s small hemispherical rose which lies on the surface of the water in a basin. The rose has many evenly distributed small holes in it, through which water spurts out at the same speed in all directions. What is the equation representing the shape of the water bell formed by the jets?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The answer for this question is y <= v2/2g - g/2v2 x2. I have no idea how should I start? At first I thought of setting up a coordinate system. But I don't know where I should set up the coordinate? Is it at the center of the hemisphere? Or is it at the point where water squirts out?

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can assume that all the water jets come out at the same spot, and put the origin there. And find the envelope. Nice problem!

ehild

4. May 1, 2010 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In all water jets, the water drops follow a parabolic trajectory, determined by the projectile angle. You need to find the envelope, a curve in the xy plane, so that all trajectories fall below it. In the x, y plane, the given function is tangent to all trajectories for projectile angles greater or equal to 45°.

Have you learnt how to get the envelope for a one-parameter curve set?

ehild

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook