Projectile motion fountain question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a fountain with a small hemispherical rose and evenly distributed holes that spurt water at the same speed in all directions. The question asks for the equation representing the shape of the water bell formed by the jets. The solution involves setting up a coordinate system and finding the envelope, a curve that all water trajectories fall below. The given function is tangent to all trajectories for projectile angles greater or equal to 45° and the solution requires knowledge of finding the envelope for a one-parameter curve set.
gaobo9109

Homework Statement

A fountain consists of s small hemispherical rose which lies on the surface of the water in a basin. The rose has many evenly distributed small holes in it, through which water spurts out at the same speed in all directions. What is the equation representing the shape of the water bell formed by the jets?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer for this question is y <= v2/2g - g/2v2 x2. I have no idea how should I start? At first I thought of setting up a coordinate system. But I don't know where I should set up the coordinate? Is it at the center of the hemisphere? Or is it at the point where water squirts out?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can assume that all the water jets come out at the same spot, and put the origin there. And find the envelope. Nice problem!

ehild

In all water jets, the water drops follow a parabolic trajectory, determined by the projectile angle. You need to find the envelope, a curve in the xy plane, so that all trajectories fall below it. In the x, y plane, the given function is tangent to all trajectories for projectile angles greater or equal to 45°.

Have you learned how to get the envelope for a one-parameter curve set?

ehild

Last edited:

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is launched or thrown and moves through the air under the influence of gravity.

2. How is the trajectory of a projectile calculated?

The trajectory of a projectile can be calculated using the equations of motion, which take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical components of projectile motion?

The horizontal component of projectile motion refers to the motion of the object in the x-direction, while the vertical component refers to the motion in the y-direction. The two components are independent of each other, but together they determine the trajectory of the projectile.

4. How does the initial velocity affect the range of a projectile?

The initial velocity of a projectile has a direct impact on its range. The greater the initial velocity, the longer the projectile will travel before hitting the ground. This is because the initial velocity determines the speed at which the projectile travels in the horizontal direction.

5. What factors can affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile can be affected by various factors such as air resistance, the initial velocity, the angle of launch, and the gravitational pull of the Earth. Other external factors like wind and air density can also have an impact on the trajectory of a projectile.