Projectile Motion in One Dimension

In summary, the projectile reached a height of 10.84 meters and had a launch velocity of 11.2 meters per second.
razrsharp67

Homework Statement

When a ball was thrown and caught at the same height from which it was thrown, it was measured to have traveled 12 meters in 1.3 seconds. What was the launch velocity?

The answer on the key says 11.2 meters per second.

Homework Equations

Yfinal = Yinit + Vt + 1/2 a t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

If it goes 12 meters in 1.3 seconds, then it hit its peak in .65 seconds at 6 meters.

So Yfinal = 6 and Yinit = 0 and t = .65 and a = -9.81

Plugging that all in and solving for V I get 12.419 m/s. But my teacher on the key says the answer is 11.2 m/s. Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
vf2 = vi2 + 2ad

looking at first half of the balls journey.

vf = 0 m/s
a = -9.8 m/s2 [up]
d = 6 m

Solve for vi

vi = √(vf2 - 2ad)

= √(-2ad)
=√(-2(-9.8)(6))
=10.84 m/s [up]getting a different answer :uhh:. I did not use time in my calculation though.

Last edited:
I tried that method too, but that answer also wasn't an answer choice.

razrsharp67 said:
When a ball was thrown and caught at the same height from which it was thrown, it was measured to have traveled 12 meters in 1.3 seconds. What was the launch velocity?
It's not as clear as it might be, but I suspect the question means that it traveled 12m horizontally.

razrsharp67 said:

Homework Statement

The answer on the key says 11.2 meters per second.

Homework Equations

Yfinal = Yinit + Vt + 1/2 a t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

If it goes 12 meters in 1.3 seconds, then it hit its peak in .65 seconds at 6 meters.

So Yfinal = 6 and Yinit = 0 and t = .65 and a = -9.81

Plugging that all in and solving for V I get 12.419 m/s. But my teacher on the key says the answer is 11.2 m/s. Where am I going wrong?

The Title says this is Projectile Motion, so this projectile travels up for 0.65 sec, then comes down for 0.65. What speed does an object reach in 0.65 seconds [a little less than 6.5 m/s I suggest]
Horizontally speaking - the projectile has traveled 12m in 1.3 seconds; that means a horizontal component of a little less than 10.

Lets imagine those values were 6 and 10. Using Pythagoras gives v = √136 which is about 11.6 [note 136 = 62 + 102
No doubt if you use the correct values you will get the 11.2 you are after.

What is projectile motion in one dimension?

Projectile motion in one dimension is a type of motion that occurs when an object is thrown or launched at an angle to the horizontal. It follows a curved path due to the combination of its initial velocity and the constant force of gravity.

What is the equation for calculating the horizontal distance traveled by a projectile?

The equation for calculating the horizontal distance traveled by a projectile is d = vxt, where d is the distance, vx is the horizontal velocity, and t is the time.

How does the initial velocity affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The initial velocity of a projectile determines the speed and direction at which it is launched. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer horizontal distance and a higher peak height, while a lower initial velocity will result in a shorter horizontal distance and a lower peak height.

What is the maximum height reached by a projectile?

The maximum height reached by a projectile is determined by the initial velocity and the angle at which it is launched. The maximum height occurs when the vertical velocity reaches 0, and the equation for calculating it is h = (vy2sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, vy is the vertical velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Air resistance can affect the trajectory of a projectile by slowing it down and causing it to lose height faster. This can result in a shorter horizontal distance and a lower peak height. In some cases, air resistance can also cause the projectile to follow a curved path.