1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion in One Dimension

1. Nov 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

When a ball was thrown and caught at the same height from which it was thrown, it was measured to have travelled 12 meters in 1.3 seconds. What was the launch velocity?

The answer on the key says 11.2 meters per second.

2. Relevant equations

Yfinal = Yinit + Vt + 1/2 a t^2

3. The attempt at a solution

If it goes 12 meters in 1.3 seconds, then it hit its peak in .65 seconds at 6 meters.

So Yfinal = 6 and Yinit = 0 and t = .65 and a = -9.81

Plugging that all in and solving for V I get 12.419 m/s. But my teacher on the key says the answer is 11.2 m/s. Where am I going wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2012 #2
    vf2 = vi2 + 2ad

looking at first half of the balls journey.

vf = 0 m/s
    a = -9.8 m/s2 [up]
    d = 6 m

Solve for vi

vi = √(vf2 - 2ad)

= √(-2ad)
    =√(-2(-9.8)(6))
    =10.84 m/s [up]

getting a different answer :uhh:. I did not use time in my calculation though.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  4. Nov 8, 2012 #3
    I tried that method too, but that answer also wasn't an answer choice.

5. Nov 9, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's not as clear as it might be, but I suspect the question means that it travelled 12m horizontally.

6. Nov 9, 2012 #5

PeterO

Homework Helper

The Title says this is Projectile Motion, so this projectile travels up for 0.65 sec, then comes down for 0.65. What speed does an object reach in 0.65 seconds [a little less than 6.5 m/s I suggest]
    Horizontally speaking - the projectile has travelled 12m in 1.3 seconds; that means a horizontal component of a little less than 10.

Lets imagine those values were 6 and 10. Using Pythagoras gives v = √136 which is about 11.6 [note 136 = 62 + 102
    No doubt if you use the correct values you will get the 11.2 you are after.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook