Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion is Symmetric

1. May 10, 2012 #1
    Okay, I read that in the case of no air-resistance, projectile motion is symmetric; that the initial velocity will equal the final velocity, in magnitude; and that a projectile traveling upwards, achieving a zero velocity of the vertical component, will have to fall the same horizontal distance during the segment of motion downwards. But, for some odd reason, I just have difficulty grasping this. Is there something I am missing in my understanding? Is there a better way to explain this concept?

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2012 #2
    I think one way that might help is to understand all of this motion is with relation to time. If something is moving at a constant velocity in the horizontal direction, and it moves in the positive vertical direction for time t, then it will move in the negative direction for time t also. So, if horizontal velocity is constant, and time t up is equal to time t down, then the horizontal distances going up must be the same as down.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook