Projectile Motion - rocket launched, engine, fail

• Thread starter dandy9
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A rocket is launched at an angle of 58.0° above the horizontal with an initial speed of 98 m/s. It moves for 3.00 s along its initial line of motion with an acceleration of 28.0 m/s2. At this time its engines fail and the rocket proceeds to move as a free body.

Maximum altitude?
Total flight time?
Horizontal range?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really stuck - I don't need an answer, just some help to get started... This is due in an hour so any help is appreciated.

Answers and Replies

Solve it in two steps. Step one is the rocket takes off with the given velocity and acceleration provided. Step two after the rockets shut off it is now a standard projectile motion problem where it has some initial height & velocity as solved for in part 1.

I got 1429.7m which is wrong...
My 'step 1' height is 375,
my 'step 2' height is 1429.
Any help please?

How did you find your step 1 height? I got 356.18m

Well, I did it again and I got 355.6
I used the equation dy =viy*t+.5ay*t^2 (the "y"s are all subscripts indicating the vertical component (the "i" indicates the initial value))
which came to be dy = 83*3+.5*23.7*3^2
equaling 355.6

For the second step height I found the time it took from the moment the engine shut off to apex, which turned out to be 15.7s. I also found the final vertical velocity at that moment, which I got to be 154.2m/s.
I plugged these numbers into the formula:
dy = viy*t+.5*ay*t^2
And got 2349.9m...

but I'm thinking that this doesn't really make sense... shouldn't the rocket go higher in step 1 with the engine? I feel like my step 2 height is way too big.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
D

For the second step height I found the time it took from the moment the engine shut off to apex, which turned out to be 15.7s. I also found the final vertical velocity at that moment, which I got to be 154.2m/s.
I plugged these numbers into the formula:
dy = viy*t+.5*ay*t^2
And got 2349.9m...
The vertical velocity at the moment of apex is zero. The value of 154.2m/s is the initial vertical velocity of the second step.

then you simply use:

h=v0*t+.5*a*t^2+h0 (don't forget the initial height h0)

AWESOME! THANKS! (The answer is 1568.7m)
I realized I had the same equation as you for step 2, just forgot to square the time - just shows how one tiny error can really mess you up.
Thanks again, you were a great help.
Much thanks,
D

Haha, yeah those small errors will get you... Glad I could help though.