1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile physics problem without the angle given! HELP

1. Nov 6, 2011 #1
    projectile physics problem without the angle given! HELP!!

You accidentally throw your car keys horizontally at 6.0 m/s from a cliff 80 m high. How far from the base of the cliff should you look for the keys?

Okay so I honestly don't know how to figure this problem out, but I think that I need to use the equations vf=vi+at and Δx=vit

For the second equation, I know that Δx=(6.0)t. I also know that for the first equation I gave, vf=vi+(-9.8)t. I don't know how to figure it out because I feel like I need the angle in order to find out the rest of the information.

I know it sounds like I am a complete slacker, but I really need help with this as soon as possible! Please help me! Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2011 #2
    Re: projectile physics problem without the angle given! HELP!!

The angle is given, it is just given indirectly. Reread the first statement.

4. Nov 6, 2011 #3

well I know that if the horizontal velocity is 6.0 then 6.0=vi(cosθ), but it doesnt actually give me any other information, and I need to know the vertical velocity in order to solve the problem.

5. Nov 6, 2011 #4

Hi,
    Just saw your post and though I guess the answer may come a bit late here it is anyway:

You need to work separately the two relevant coordinates (vertical and horizontal).

Calculate the time the keys will take to fall the 80m of the cliff (vertical acceleration of g (due to gravity) with zero initial velocity.

Once you have this time you work the horizontal direction: a constant speed of 6m/s times the time calculated on the previous calculation.

Hope it helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook