Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projection of meteorology radar images onto a sphere

1. Dec 11, 2011 #1
    Hello everybody, I am working on a project for merging the images of multiple meteorology radars covering a large area. I would like to project each of the images onto a spherical surface and merge them.

Do you know if there is a piece of software that can help me with that?
    I can develop in many programming languages, so that is not a problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2012 #2
    I saw a really interesting earth projection program test for svgalib's "threeDkit" adaptation of image isn't difficult only problem is running high resolutions with that particular library.
    Find a good vesa firmware and driver for your favorite architecture and vioula.
    it looks like a simple opengl like api.
    I also saw a series of images for the animation frames of the earth spinning from the motif widget manager, a sprite generator is like what im thinking.

4. Feb 6, 2012 #3

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey Caffeinomane and welcome to the forums.

In what way do you want to merge the images? Do you want basically just use geometric data to clip the unwanted overlap and align the images or do you want to try and use the image data itself and analyze the images to which part of the images are part of the overlap so that you can calculate the mapping information from the image data and not solely just the geometric data?

(When I say geometric data I am referring to coordinate data points on the earth that correspond to specifying the boundaries that correspond to the image in the context of the geometry that is being described).

5. Feb 6, 2012 #4
    If I am correct you are trying to do this Projection Sphere , I was looking into this and I could even get software to warp the images together near automatically as well. Good luck

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook