1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projection of space curves onto general planes

1. Nov 6, 2013 #1
    So I've encountered many "what is the projection of the space curve [itex]C[/itex] onto the [itex]xy[/itex]-plane?" type of problems, but I recently came across a "what is the project of the space curve [itex]C[/itex] onto this specific plane [itex]P[/itex]?" type of question and wasn't sure how to proceed. The internet didn't yield me answers so I haven't made much headway. The problem and my attempt at a solution is outlined below:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Compute the projection of the curve [itex]\vec{\mathbf{r}}(t) = \left\langle \mathrm{cos\:}t, \mathrm{sin\:}t, t \right\rangle[/itex] onto the plane [itex]x + y + z = 0[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

I'm having trouble come up with an equation. I've tried drawing the relevant [itex]xy[/itex]-, [itex]yz[/itex]-, and [itex]xz[/itex]-plane projections and seeing where the curves intersect, but I know that these intersection points do NOT necessarily correspond to the projection of the given curve onto the given plane.

3. The attempt at a solution

See reasoning above. I really don't know how to do this for a non-standard plane and so I'm completely lost as to how to make headway. I haven't been able to find relevant information on the internet either through a similar problem for some reason.

Can anybody help me out? If so, is there a way to do this for ANY plane [itex]P[/itex] and ANY space curve [itex]\vec{\mathbf{r}}(t)[/itex]? I feel like there should be yet Stewart's Multivariable Calculus yields nothing (at least the 5th edition doesn't) in this area. Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Antiderivative! :smile:

Choose a basis for the plane.

Then use that basis, and the normal, as a new set of coordinates.

4. Nov 6, 2013 #3
    Hi tiny-tim! Hmm... okay so the normal vector to the plane is N(1,1,1), and the plane goes through A(1/√2,0,-1/√2). Using that, I guess I can try to find an orthonormal basis. Clearly A•N = 0, so A and N are normal. The other vector can be found by finding N x A presumably.

I'm getting (-1/√2, √2, -1/√2). Since it's an orthonormal basis I'd have to normalize this to get (1/√6, √2/√3, -1/√6).

Okay so my basis vectors are (1/√2, 0, -1/√2) and (1/√6, √2/√3, -1/√6).

There's a way to convert the coordinate systems but I'm not sure I know how to do that. It involves a matrix of some kind presumably?

5. Nov 6, 2013 #4
    Okay so I figured out that the three basis vectors in my new coordinate system would be

[itex]\left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}},\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}},\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} \right)[/itex], [itex]\left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},0,-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \right)[/itex], and [itex]\left( -\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}},\frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{3}},-\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}} \right)[/itex].

Graphing these on Wolfram Alpha helped me see that they help to create the coordinate system where the new [itex]xy[/itex]-plane is created by where the given plane exists.

Should I find the new [itex]\hat{x},\hat{y},\hat{z}[/itex] in terms of the old [itex]x,y,z[/itex]? I feel like that's so much work for a deceptively simple problem. Or is it actually necessary?

6. Nov 6, 2013 #5
    Okay just for completion I want to post that I officially figured it out.

Using the change of basis, I ended up rewriting the old [itex]x,y,z[/itex] in terms of the new ones, and deriving an equation for this "flattened" helix on the plane:

[itex]\left( \begin{array}{c}
    \hat{x} \\
    \hat{y} \\
    \hat{z} \end{array} \right) =
    \left( \begin{array}{c}
    \frac{2\mathrm{cos\:}t - \mathrm{sin\:}t - t}{3} \\
    \frac{2\mathrm{sin\:}t - \mathrm{cos\:}t - t}{3} \\
    \frac{2t - \mathrm{sin\:}t - \mathrm{cos\:}t}{3} \end{array} \right)[/itex]

Graphing this in Mac's Grapher program or an equivalent software produces the attached diagram, which is what we're going for. Thanks tiny-tim for helping me visualize/understand the process!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  7. Nov 6, 2013 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can do it without changing basis vectors. Let's say you have a point ##P_0## on the plane and a unit normal ##\hat n## pointing to the side that ##P_0## is on. Let your curve be ##\vec r(t)##. Then the projection curve is ##\vec p(t)=\vec r(t) - (\vec r(t)-P_0\cdot \hat n)\hat n##.

I can give you more details later but have to run now.

8. Nov 6, 2013 #7
    Yep I just used that method after the orthonormal one. In the end it's kind of the same thing because you'll end up getting v – (n•v/n•n) n, which is like the Gram-Schmidt process for creating an orthonormal basis. Analogous procedures! Geometric versus algebraic arguments I suppose.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted