• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Why the projection of S on the xy plane cannot be used?

• Thread starter JD_PM
  • Start date
Problem Statement
Please see image
Relevant Equations
Please see image
Screenshot (260).png

Screenshot (261).png

I don't understand why we could not use the 1/4 of the circle lying on the xy plane as R. In the exercise it is not explained.

The idea would be taking the arc length. I know it is not easier than making your projection on the xz plane, but just wondering if this is possible. I guess it is not, but why...

EDIT

I've just realized there's a big issue if we select our infinitesimal patch of area to lie on the xy plane in this problem. Let's show it:

The unit normal vector is:

Screenshot (263).png

Then we'd get:
Screenshot (262).png

Note that nk yields zero, so this method is discarded.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
The point is that giving ##x## and ##y## does not uniquely identify a point on the surface as they are necessarily related through ##R^2 = x^2 + y^2##. You need to use a parametrisation that is a 1-to-1 map to the surface you are integrating over.

The point is that giving ##x## and ##y## does not uniquely identify a point on the surface as they are necessarily related through ##R^2 = x^2 + y^2##. You need to use a parametrisation that is a 1-to-1 map to the surface you are integrating over.
So do you mean that the reason is the following?

As the provided surface has no explicit value for z (##R^2 = x^2 + y^2##) then we cannot integrate through a region where z varies.

Indeed, in the provided solution, the region has a constant value for ##z##.

BvU

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I don't understand why we could not use the 1/4 of the circle lying on the xy plane as R
Isn't it much simpler:
your ##\ A\ ## depends on ##z## so you somehow need to keep ##z## as integration variable
your ##\ A\cdot n\ ## does not depend on ##y## so you can afford to lose ##y##

your ##\ A\ ## depends on ##z## so you somehow need to keep ##z## as integration variable
your ##\ A\cdot n\ ## does not depend on ##y## so you can afford to lose ##y##
I get that but actually I am still thinking why the projection of S on the xy plane cannot be used?...

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
So do you mean that the reason is the following?

As the provided surface has no explicit value for z (##R^2 = x^2 + y^2##) then we cannot integrate through a region where z varies.
No, that isn't what @Orodruin means.

Indeed, in the provided solution, the region has a constant value for ##z##.
No, it doesn't. ##z## varies for ##0## to ##5##. The fact that your normal vector is independent of ##z## doesn't mean that ##z## doesn't vary. You need to understand Orodruin's post #2. A parameterization of a surface requires two independent variables. Maybe it would help you to think of it this way. Given the equation of the surface, what additional information do you need to locate a point on the surface? I am thinking of a point on the surface and I tell you the ##x## and ##z## coordinates of the point. Can you figure it out? The answer is yes because you can get ##y## from the equation of the surface by knowing ##x##. But suppose I give you just the ##x## and ##y## coordinates. Then you can't tell me the coordinates of the point because you have no way of knowing ##z##. That is one reason you can't use just ##x## and ##y## for the parameterization of the surface.