Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projection stereographic and second fundamental form

1. May 9, 2015 #1
    Let r:R2 →R3 be given by the formula rac{2u}{u^2%20+v^2%20+1},%20\frac{2v}{u^2%20+v^2%20+1},%20\frac{-1+u^2%20+v^2}{u^2%20+v^2%20+1}).gif Compute the second fundamental form with respect to this basis (Hint: There’s a shortcut to computing the unit normal n).

I can't find thi shortcut, does anyone help me? I'm solving it with normal vector and first and second derivate, but I obtained impossibile result... The solve is too long to write down here... I use I used gif.latex?N=\frac{ruXrv}{||ruXrv||}.gif

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Think geometrically: what vectors are orthogonal to the surface of the sphere?

4. May 10, 2015 #3
    I was thinking it was very difficult... Now I think to be a bit silly! :) thx

5. May 12, 2015 #4
    Is it the same with an ellipsoid (a*cos(x)*sen(y),b*sen(x)*sen(y),c*cos(y)) ? N is (a*cos(x)*sen(y),b*sen(x)*sen(y),c*cos(y)) ?

6. May 12, 2015 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

No.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook