Split the differential and differential forms

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of derivatives in undergraduate dynamics, including the construction of equations such as a ds = v dv and its application to problem solving. However, there is a debate on whether it is wise to treat derivatives as fractions, as it may lead to errors and can be limiting in higher dimensional cases. The correct interpretation of derivatives is also discussed, including its various forms and the importance of understanding its limits and applications.
JTC
In undergraduate dynamics, they do things like this:
--------------------
v = ds/dt
a = dv/dt
Then, from this, they construct: a ds = v dv
And they use that to solve some problems.
--------------------

Now I have read that it is NOT wise to treat the derivative like a fraction: it obliterates the meaning.
And that such tricks like the above one, work only in 1D cases. But it is bad policy to get used to it.

I have a FEELING for that, but no PRECISE explanation of why it is unwise to treat the derivative like a fraction.

Can someone please explain this?

And if you can explain it -- and I hope you can -- then I will come back and ask you to discuss that in the context of differential forms where "dx" is a co-vector.

Because with regard to differential forms, one DOES have these bases from the dual space.

Could someone address this for me?

Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
As long as you know what you do, you can treat it as a fraction - as always with abbreviations. A closer inspection, however, gives rise to some questions: Where is the limit? In the "d"? But we have only one limit and two "d", and this is the major risk here ##\displaystyle \lim \frac{\Delta x(t)}{\Delta t} \neq \frac{\lim \Delta x(t)}{\lim \Delta t}##. Another point is, that it marks a derivative, that is ##\displaystyle t_0 \longmapsto \left. \frac{dx(t)}{dt}\right|_{t=t_0}## which is an entire vector field. I recently counted the ways a derivative can be viewed as and found ##10## different interpretations of only one formula, and the fraction wasn't even among them:

$$
D_{x_0}L_g(v)= \left.\frac{d}{d\,x}\right|_{x=x_0}\,L_g(x).v = J_{x_0}(L_g)(v)=J(L_g)(x_0;v)
$$
can be viewed as
  1. first derivative ##L'_g : x \longmapsto \alpha(x)##
  2. differential ##dL_g = \alpha_x \cdot d x##
  3. linear approximation of ##L_g## by ##L_g(x_0+\varepsilon)=L_g(x_0)+J_{x_0}(L_g)\cdot \varepsilon +O(\varepsilon^2) ##
  4. linear mapping (Jacobi matrix) ##J_{x}(L_g) : v \longmapsto \alpha_{x} \cdot v##
  5. vector (tangent) bundle ##(p,\alpha_{p}\;d x) \in (D\times \mathbb{R},\mathbb{R},\pi)##
  6. ##1-##form (Pfaffian form) ##\omega_{p} : v \longmapsto \langle \alpha_{p} , v \rangle ##
  7. cotangent bundle ##(p,\omega_p) \in (D,T^*D,\pi^*)##
  8. section of ##(D\times \mathbb{R},\mathbb{R},\pi)\, : \,\sigma \in \Gamma(D,TD)=\Gamma(D) : p \longmapsto \alpha_{p}##
  9. If ##f,g : D \mapsto \mathbb{R}## are smooth functions, then $$D_xL_y (f\cdot g) = \alpha_x (f\cdot g)' = \alpha_x (f'\cdot g + f \cdot g') = D_xL_y(f)\cdot g + f \cdot D_xL_y(g)$$ and ##D_xL_y## is a derivation on ##C^\infty(\mathbb{R})##.
  10. ##L_x^*(\alpha_y)=\alpha_{xy}## is the pullback section of ##\sigma: p \longmapsto \alpha_p## by ##L_x##.
The question about the dimension is a bit tricky. As long as we consider a single derivative, it is a directional differential, in which direction ever. But - as in the examples above - the entire tangent bundle is often considered, and we get
$$
d\, f = \sum_{i=1}^n \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_i}\,dx_i
$$
and then we have ##n## fractions in ##n## directions, which are reduced to a scalar, the component of the corresponding tangent vector. The fraction is o.k. as long as we consider the whole thing as a slope. If we start using it as a real quotient and calculate with it, we have to keep in mind, that it is merely an abbreviation. If it helps to find a solution, fine, but we should check the answer and especially be careful if we'll deal with functions, that are not smooth.

Likes atyy
fresh_42 said:
As long as you know what you do, you can treat it as a fraction - as always with abbreviations. A closer inspection, however, gives rise to some questions: Where is the limit? In the "d"? But we have only one limit and two "d", and this is the major risk here ##\displaystyle \lim \frac{\Delta x(t)}{\Delta t} \neq \frac{\lim \Delta x(t)}{\lim \Delta t}##. Another point is, that it marks a derivative, that is ##\displaystyle t_0 \longmapsto \left. \frac{dx(t)}{dt}\right|_{t=t_0}## which is an entire vector field. I recently counted the ways a derivative can be viewed as and found ##10## different interpretations of only one formula, and the fraction wasn't even among them:

$$
D_{x_0}L_g(v)= \left.\frac{d}{d\,x}\right|_{x=x_0}\,L_g(x).v = J_{x_0}(L_g)(v)=J(L_g)(x_0;v)
$$
can be viewed as
  1. first derivative ##L'_g : x \longmapsto \alpha(x)##
  2. differential ##dL_g = \alpha_x \cdot d x##
  3. linear approximation of ##L_g## by ##L_g(x_0+\varepsilon)=L_g(x_0)+J_{x_0}(L_g)\cdot \varepsilon +O(\varepsilon^2) ##
  4. linear mapping (Jacobi matrix) ##J_{x}(L_g) : v \longmapsto \alpha_{x} \cdot v##
  5. vector (tangent) bundle ##(p,\alpha_{p}\;d x) \in (D\times \mathbb{R},\mathbb{R},\pi)##
  6. ##1-##form (Pfaffian form) ##\omega_{p} : v \longmapsto \langle \alpha_{p} , v \rangle ##
  7. cotangent bundle ##(p,\omega_p) \in (D,T^*D,\pi^*)##
  8. section of ##(D\times \mathbb{R},\mathbb{R},\pi)\, : \,\sigma \in \Gamma(D,TD)=\Gamma(D) : p \longmapsto \alpha_{p}##
  9. If ##f,g : D \mapsto \mathbb{R}## are smooth functions, then $$D_xL_y (f\cdot g) = \alpha_x (f\cdot g)' = \alpha_x (f'\cdot g + f \cdot g') = D_xL_y(f)\cdot g + f \cdot D_xL_y(g)$$ and ##D_xL_y## is a derivation on ##C^\infty(\mathbb{R})##.
  10. ##L_x^*(\alpha_y)=\alpha_{xy}## is the pullback section of ##\sigma: p \longmapsto \alpha_p## by ##L_x##.
The question about the dimension is a bit tricky. As long as we consider a single derivative, it is a directional differential, in which direction ever. But - as in the examples above - the entire tangent bundle is often considered, and we get
$$
d\, f = \sum_{i=1}^n \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_i}\,dx_i
$$
and then we have ##n## fractions in ##n## directions, which are reduced to a scalar, the component of the corresponding tangent vector. The fraction is o.k. as long as we consider the whole thing as a slope. If we start using it as a real quotient and calculate with it, we have to keep in mind, that it is merely an abbreviation. If it helps to find a solution, fine, but we should check the answer and especially be careful if we'll deal with functions, that are not smooth.
Perfect.
Thank you.

1. What is the concept of "splitting the differential" in differential forms?

The concept of "splitting the differential" refers to the process of decomposing a differential form into its constituent parts. In other words, it involves breaking down a complex differential form into simpler, basic forms that can be easily manipulated and analyzed. This can be done using various mathematical operations such as exterior differentiation and wedge products.

2. How is splitting the differential useful in mathematical analysis?

The process of splitting the differential is essential in mathematical analysis as it allows us to express complex differential forms in terms of simpler ones. This makes it easier to perform calculations and solve problems involving differential equations. It also helps in understanding the geometric properties of a given differential form.

3. Can you provide an example of splitting the differential of a differential form?

Sure, let's consider the differential form ω = x dy ∧ dz + y dz ∧ dx + z dx ∧ dy. By using the exterior differentiation operator, we can split this form into three simpler forms: ω = dx ∧ (x dy + y dz) + dy ∧ (y dz + z dx) + dz ∧ (z dx + x dy). This allows us to manipulate each individual form and gain a better understanding of the original form.

4. How does splitting the differential relate to vector calculus?

Splitting the differential is closely related to vector calculus as it involves the manipulation of vector fields using mathematical operations such as the gradient, divergence, and curl. These operations can be thought of as the "building blocks" of differential forms, and splitting the differential helps in understanding how they can be used to represent more complex forms.

5. Is splitting the differential a common technique used in scientific research?

Yes, splitting the differential is a widely used technique in various fields of science and engineering. It is particularly important in the study of differential equations, which have numerous applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering. By breaking down complex differential forms into simpler ones, scientists and researchers can gain a deeper understanding of the underlying mathematical concepts and make more accurate predictions and calculations.